Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240907 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #990 on: March 17, 2020, 08:49:27 PM »
If you scroll down, there are two pics of him with the Hofner, including a shot of their appearance on the Smothers Brothers. 

http://www.philfangvolk.com/

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #991 on: March 18, 2020, 09:05:56 AM »
If you scroll down, there are two pics of him with the Hofner, including a shot of their appearance on the Smothers Brothers. 

http://www.philfangvolk.com/

Yup, and I see his paddle-headstock Vox bass in a photo, too. 

Here's one of their all-time best: Steppin' Out. It's all lip-synced with the Vox bass and Raider hijinks.  One thing I like a lot is the double-time verse in the middle of the tune and in the extro..  Kind of an unusual idea in 60's music.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #992 on: March 18, 2020, 11:35:57 AM »
The Raiders are still touring with a new singer named David Huizenga who I've crossed paths with on the local scene. I actually sold them a case for the Mustang front clip 9 years ago while Paul was still alive.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #993 on: March 18, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »
For Uwe

Judas Priest live in 1981

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: March 18, 2020, 02:30:29 PM »
I really like this song.  I've been listening to it a lot lately.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: March 18, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »
For Uwe

How you spoil me, Holländer! I remember seeing them on the German leg of that particular tour in a small hall near Frankfurt, only the second time I had seen them at all (first time was as openers for AC/DC),  they still had that youthful exuberance back then and I was so close upfront, I could marvel at Halford's small tear in his spandex catsuit all night! A memorable gig for musical reasons too.

Priest raise the most primal instincts in me, their brand of escapism hits home with me like no other band, though they are often a bit on the corny side. I find Maiden cluttered, Saxon a bit dumbed down (though entertaining) and AC/DC way too dumbed down (not entertaining after circa the third song), but Priest is to me like watching a Hellraiser horror movie: You know it ain't art, but it just feels so good.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:32:36 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: March 18, 2020, 06:23:13 PM »
For Uwe

That was the first tour I saw them on as well. In Southern CA, where I grew up, I think in the Long Beach Arena. Saw them regularly over the next few years, along with other touring staples of the time; Scorpions, Van Halen, UFO, Iron Maiden, KISS, etc., etc. (with all the early 80s Hollywood bands as they hit the arena circuit as well). Good times...

Only a couple years before, Priest played a little club in Hollywood, called the Starwood. I was aware of the club but had no older friends or siblings that could/would take me. Blast it!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 18, 2020, 06:25:49 PM »
Yup, and I see his paddle-headstock Vox bass in a photo, too. 

Here's one of their all-time best: Steppin' Out. It's all lip-synced with the Vox bass and Raider hijinks.  One thing I like a lot is the double-time verse in the middle of the tune and in the extro..  Kind of an unusual idea in 60's music.

Then there's this one, Michael Landon and a parrot in the outro. And the dancers, of course.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #998 on: March 18, 2020, 06:40:51 PM »
Great period piece with the go-go dancers, etc.  I saw that one before posting the other, but it's enough fun that I watched it again.

Fang has a different bass in that one; the headstock shot about 2:25 looks familiar, but I can't bring the brand to mind.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 18, 2020, 06:44:13 PM »
I thought the dancers on "Where The Action Is" were one of the more interesting aspects of the show.  I'm having a hard time finding much on You Tube.  Maybe it has to do with copyright issues.  This is the closest I could come to it, but this really isn't what I was looking for. 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:10:13 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: March 19, 2020, 07:34:54 PM »
Great period piece with the go-go dancers, etc.  I saw that one before posting the other, but it's enough fun that I watched it again.

Fang has a different bass in that one; the headstock shot about 2:25 looks familiar, but I can't bring the brand to mind.

Looks like an Epi Newport.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 19, 2020, 07:39:42 PM »
Today's earworm, posted on FB by a local friend.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #1002 on: March 20, 2020, 08:03:12 AM »
Looks like an Epi Newport.

T-bird pups = Embassy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 20, 2020, 08:15:20 PM »
T-bird pups = Embassy

Right. I should have known that, we discussed it recently here and probably earlier.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 22, 2020, 04:16:46 PM »
You know you're old when you remember that you were a young adult when this came out and you realize that it's 50 years old.

Recorded at Motown 1970, one of their first attempts at the white pop and rock market.

Maybe Bob Babbitt on bass?