Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 241024 times)

patman

• View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #945 on: March 11, 2020, 12:25:41 PM »
I would like to hear an "All Things Must Pass"  naked...Like "Let it Be" naked

Lety it Be is a fine album with all the shit removed. I imagine All Things Must Pass is also.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 11, 2020, 01:36:24 PM »
I dunno, the much heralded Naked sounded like a bunch of demos to me, an unpolished turd (if only by the standards The Beatles had set themselves). It wasn't all Spector's fault, the Fab Four just weren't inspired on that one. They made good with Abbey Road though.

Widely derided as a Yoko Ono money making scheme, I did like the Stripped Down version of Double Fantasy though, it's like having John Lennon in your living room.

It's kind of weird to think that he was murdered only 10 years after The Beatles disbanded and that is now already 40 years ago! What a loss.  :-\ Something in me still hopes that the lefty-libby John wouldn't speak out against the - supervised - parole release of his assassin today (the man was seriously sick), something the still grief-struck Yoko cannot bring over herself. Chapman was sentenced "20 years to life" for killing a man, not for robbing the world of a Beatle, grievous as it may have been  for all of us and of course foremost for the Lennon family.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:55:15 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 11, 2020, 03:23:13 PM »
I agree Let It BE naked doesn't sound good, either.  But I also don't like "Starting Over" or "Watching the Wheels" in any version, especially not the latter.  One of Lennon's worst songs, IMO.  However, despite the fact that Spector was involved, I liked John Lennon's "Rock 'n Roll" album.  I listened to that many times on cassette while walking not far away from a Lake Pontchartrain levee (years before Katrina.)

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 11, 2020, 05:37:56 PM »
Let it Be naked didn't sound that good as is, but it could hardly be worse than the Phil Spector production. I hated just about everything he did.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 11, 2020, 06:53:20 PM »
Hey now Dave, nobody puts “be my baby” in the corner!
Phil went off the deep end and it’s just a sad situation for all involved. He still made some good records either way. Who knows what horrible things other producers did that we just don’t know about because they simply never got caught. If we knew everything shady that people in the music business did, I’m guessing there would be much less to listen to if the basis of quality was held against some kind of morality litmus test.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 11, 2020, 07:02:07 PM »
The quote by Hunter S. Thompson comes to mind.

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 12, 2020, 07:02:52 AM »
Hey now Dave, nobody puts “be my baby” in the corner!
Phil went off the deep end and it’s just a sad situation for all involved. He still made some good records either way. Who knows what horrible things other producers did that we just don’t know about because they simply never got caught. If we knew everything shady that people in the music business did, I’m guessing there would be much less to listen to if the basis of quality was held against some kind of morality litmus test.

I do. Be My Baby is pure early 60s schlock. I guess you could say he excelled at that. For good pop from that era, Gerry Goffin and Carole King had him beat by miles. I detested his music long before his legal troubles.

The quote by Hunter S. Thompson comes to mind.

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

That's such a great quote! But he actually said it about television.

See Understanding "Where Thieves and Pimps Run Free", in the section Source of the Quote.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 12, 2020, 07:45:19 AM »
His credits are massive. Over 450 production credits according to discogs. Schlock or not, he was successful.  In case you didn't catch it, that was a loosely based quote from the movie dirty dancing which also featured the Ronettes most famous tune.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 12, 2020, 08:25:33 AM »
Danke.

Now I'm depressed again.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:31:16 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 12, 2020, 08:27:10 AM »
"Be My Baby is pure early 60s schlock."

Ah, Dave, ever the word-mincer, relativist and suave diplomat. If you can't say something not nice, don't say anything at all! :rimshot: :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:33:15 AM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #956 on: March 12, 2020, 08:33:05 AM »
I do. Be My Baby is pure early 60s schlock. I guess you could say he excelled at that.

Reminds me of a friend who reads as much popular light fiction as I do. He calls it "dreck." I often ask him "are you reading any good dreck?"  That's the stuff that's entertaining and well-written, even if it's dreck.

You see, there's good dreck and bad dreck. Mickey Spillane is really good dreck. Lee Child's Jack Reacher stuff is pretty decent dreck.  OTOH, there's a lot of bad dreck out there that's not worth reading, even for sheer escapism.

I'd say that Be My Baby is good schlock. There's a place in the world for good schlock; it's fun to listen to and often creates ear worms. Much of Spector's stuff seems like good schlock to me.  Beats the hell out of Billie Eilish.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 12, 2020, 08:42:24 AM »
May I venture the thought that without Be My Baby there would have perhaps been no Born To Run? ("So much the better!" I can hear Dave barking in the background.  :) ) Or a few other classix ... It's a type of production that belongs to pop history, even if I agree that it can only be consumed in small doses.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:07:18 AM by uwe »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 12, 2020, 09:13:53 AM »
Danke.

Now I'm depressed again.

I hear you. The world is in a tough spot at the moment. This captures the mood well.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 12, 2020, 12:09:59 PM »
gotta admit...we still play "Be My Baby"...people pay money to hear it...