Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240907 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #885 on: February 24, 2020, 04:59:53 PM »
Domo arigato, Sakura, nose-wrinkle-free talent in young women lives.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 24, 2020, 11:15:24 PM »
Great! But there is actually a quite sophisticated wrinkle around the solo part. Much more advanced than the baby spice wrinkle that I find symmetrical but boring. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 25, 2020, 05:03:35 AM »
I rest my case. We need a dedicated thread for nose-wrinkly female talents with Dave as the resident expert moderating!

PS: But young Sakura's nose wrinkles aren't rehearsed Shirley Temple style "I want to look good for middle-aged +++ men and your usual youtube/instagram viewing folk", but, uhum, signs of artistic expression as she selflessly kk-downings her way through

"Sworn to avenge ...
Condemned to hell!
Tempt not the blade ...
All fear the sentinel!"

:mrgreen:

Though I give the cute Fräulein Reburn high LGBT awareness marks for singing "... and let me be your man" in the Beatles chestnut rather than opting for the logical, even self-inviting "... and let me be your girl" - otoh, perhaps she was only worried that any kind of deviation from the original might confound her demanding audience? Or perhaps, all those nose wrinkle rehearsals, all-American smiles and cocking your head into the camera had her preoccupied over the lyrical content.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:55:43 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 25, 2020, 07:48:02 AM »
When I'm not listening to juvenile Judas Priest escapist lyrics or - albeit vainly - fighting off nose wrinkle-itis, I slavishly buy Drive-By Truckers product. They have a new album out (The Unraveling), NSFW, socially aware lyrics - how dare they?! Also contains the angry line "stick it up your ass with your useless thoughts & prayers".

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:00:28 AM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #889 on: February 25, 2020, 11:29:14 AM »
Thanks for posting that, Uwe.  I'd love to hear George Strait, Garth Brooks and Keith Urban performing that in public.   
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 25, 2020, 11:53:08 AM »
When I'm not listening to juvenile Judas Priest escapist lyrics or - albeit vainly - fighting off nose wrinkle-itis, I slavishly buy Drive-By Truckers product. They have a new album out (The Unraveling), NSFW, socially aware lyrics - how dare they?! Also contains the angry line "stick it up your ass with your useless thoughts & prayers".

I'm just speculating a little because my familiarity with the Drive-By Truckers is not extensive.  But when listening to that I was immediately struck by how flat the accent sounded  Like how the diphthongs were drawn out so much.  I don't know if it's Patterson Hood or Mike Cooley singing.  But I looked up videos of both.  It appears they both speak with perfectly normal Southern accents.  But when they sing, as someone with a Southern accent, to me it comes out as very affected.  I know there are other singers out there who also do the same thing.  I just have to wonder why.  But the point is to my ears it doesn't come across as authentic.  If they sang the same way they talked, of course that would be another matter.  I'm not trying to be critical of the band.  I've heard good things about them.  But I am a little puzzled about exactly what is going on.  I'm questioning what is happening.  Who knows, maybe I've wrong.  Because I was under the impression that the Drive-By Truckers sounded a lot like the Allman Brothers.  But after listening to that, that does not appear to be the case. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: February 25, 2020, 12:13:02 PM »
I saw them several years back. They are nothing like the Allmans. They are a category unto themselves...

Just listened to the cut...going to Amazon right now.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:19:22 PM by patman »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 25, 2020, 12:54:51 PM »
I saw them several years back. They are nothing like the Allmans. They are a category unto themselves...

Just listened to the cut...going to Amazon right now.

I was expecting a sound like the Allman Brothers or Government Mule.  So, needless to say, I was pretty surprised.  I don't know where I got the impression that they sounded like that. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #893 on: February 25, 2020, 03:09:22 PM »

Great song!   

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 25, 2020, 07:27:45 PM »
Bullshit anti-gun propaganda sung by goobers with fake accents.

Nothing fake about this. Music, not propaganda.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 25, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »
Bullshit anti-gun propaganda sung by goobers with fake accents.

Nothing fake about this. Music, not propaganda.

You nailed it.  I've just been thinking about this some more since I posted.  Whoever that guy is, obviously he is smart.  He has fooled people into thinking that he is authentic.  He speaks with the same South Midland accent that I do.  There is no difference.  Yet when he sings, that's about the most godawful fake Southern accent that I've ever heard.  It's all for effect.  It'a all part of the show.  Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins--nothing fake about either one.  I just happened to run across Johnny Cash last night on an old Western.  Very enjoyable watching that!  I'd like to see it again. 

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #896 on: February 25, 2020, 08:03:20 PM »
Or Dolly Parton... She speaks and sings like east Tennessee. Nothing fake about it.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 26, 2020, 08:18:27 AM »
More bad-accents-non-country-rubbish-music us easily impressionable Krauts are enticed by:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Epic Gods Fail ... (Clapton and Waters make a mess of Sunshine of your Love)
« Reply #898 on: February 26, 2020, 08:22:58 AM »
Sometimes gods can be mortals too. Don't listen to this if you like the song, they start around 4:30 and the only redeeming feature are the vocals of the one black background singer chick - I believe Ginger would have kicked them off the stage. Man, they will have to do some patching up, should this ever come out officially:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: February 26, 2020, 08:34:48 AM »
I was expecting a sound like the Allman Brothers or Government Mule.  So, needless to say, I was pretty surprised.  I don't know where I got the impression that they sounded like that.

There was an audible influence of that on their very early albums, but since then they have probably become closer to, say, The Gaslight Anthem than to the Allmans. Songwriting and lyrics took precedence over jammy instrumentalism - of course, there is room for both, but seldom in one band.