Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240909 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #810 on: February 06, 2020, 10:27:39 AM »
To give him credit - I saw TS on the Come Out & Play tour, their commercial halcyon days were already on the wane -, Snider could captivate an audience with his stage raps. Much like David Lee Roth, he was live more a conferencier than a lead singer. But musically ...  :-X

I thought Snider did ok with this outfit here - which never really got off the ground:

And with these guys too, which got even less off the ground, though a supergroup of sorts:

I think with both bands he was reconnecting with his "inner David Coverdale".  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 10:35:38 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 06, 2020, 10:32:59 AM »
From Nashville, believe it or not. Pretty good, IMO. 

My son loves them (he has a penchant for what I call "roots rock") - and made me aware of them a while ago.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 06, 2020, 10:37:46 AM »
Victoria's/Posh Spice's/Frau Beckham's note-perfect live singing always stood out for me. Like a sore thumb. (Her mike was in fact switched off most of the time as she was tone-deaf.)

But she was/is a good fashion designer, I grant her that. And she was the prettiest Spice Girl in my eyes. Always had something of a comic book super heroine.

But my real guilty pleasure was ...

(Some faint nose-wrinkling at 2:17, Dave, but not much, unfortunately, don't let it keep you from other, more important tasks.  8) )

And this here (which always owed more than a bit to "Walk like an Egyptian"):

Unfortunately, the Girls Aloud video won't play in the U.S.  But I'd never even seen the Atomic Kitten video before.  I'm learning a lot.  This is good. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: February 06, 2020, 10:43:21 AM »
My son loves them (he has a penchant for what I call "roots rock") - and made me aware of them a while ago.

This is also a good one, although it sounds a lot like one of their other songs.  I had never even heard of them.  I'm not sure how they would be categorized.  I guess I'd call them new Southern rock.  They do covers of the Allman Brothers, but also even Black Sabbath.  So they're covering a lot of territory. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #814 on: February 06, 2020, 03:08:23 PM »
True confession:

I remembered this AM that I had never listened to all of Pink Floyd's "The Wall," which I understand is supposed to be some kind of landmark album.

Now I've listened to it. As far as I'm concerned, there is only one cut on the album worth listening to - Another Brick in the Wall (part 1) which is at least interesting. I honestly can't find anything else interesting in the album, so, that's one CD I don't need to buy. I feel like I need a dose of four-beat rock & roll or surf to recover and wake up.  (Nurse, 30 minutes of Dick Dale, STAT!!)

For those who consider this a great album, I'm sure you are right for your ears and preferences.  As Mark Twain replied to critical letters, "Dear Sir or Madam, you may be right."

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 06, 2020, 03:26:06 PM »
Young lust was my favorite from the wall. Otherwise, it's not something you want to listen to in a convertible on a sunny day.
Twisted Sister awful? Don't you wanna rock?

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 06, 2020, 03:57:37 PM »
True confession:

I remembered this AM that I had never listened to all of Pink Floyd's "The Wall," which I understand is supposed to be some kind of landmark album.

Now I've listened to it. As far as I'm concerned, there is only one cut on the album worth listening to - Another Brick in the Wall (part 1) which is at least interesting. I honestly can't find anything else interesting in the album, so, that's one CD I don't need to buy. I feel like I need a dose of four-beat rock & roll or surf to recover and wake up.  (Nurse, 30 minutes of Dick Dale, STAT!!)

For those who consider this a great album, I'm sure you are right for your ears and preferences.  As Mark Twain replied to critical letters, "Dear Sir or Madam, you may be right."

Will you marry me? My current wife thinks The Wall is the be-all and end-all of all pop music. I even had to go to a concert and hear Roger Waters and his hired hands play it live in full splendor note-perfect (which I hate in a live setting!). Me? I shrug my shoulders, it's not a pile of shite, but I can name you off the cuff three or even four Floyd albums I like better: Wish You Were Here, Animals, Meddle and even Dark Side of the Moon. I'm with David Gilmour, for me The Wall is Roger Waters' first solo album, too little guitar on it and I prefer if Floyd do Krautrock ambience music as on WYWH (an album of which Waters declares: "It had too much guitar on it.").

Trivia: The telltale Motownish bass line wasn't Waters' idea, his demo sounded like this:

Ezrin, the producer talked him into the "disco bass". 2nd  time Ezrin came up with a noteworthy bass line after the bass riff in the verse of Detroit Rock City which was also his (lifted off some Stax recording). Thinking about it, with the focus on bass he had/has (currently recording with DP again), some of the more head-turning Dennis Dunaway bass riffs of the Alice Cooper Group are probably also of his making.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 06, 2020, 04:38:35 PM »
The BĂ–Csters. Have a new Live album out (from 2014). I miss the Bouchard brothers and Herr Lanier, but these are great performances.

Harvester of Eyes, oh my, I luuuuuv that song ....

Another classic from that gig:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 06, 2020, 04:43:32 PM »
And before I am accused of only listening to stadium rock from the 70ies  :mrgreen:, I only discovered these guys (and one girl) recently, bit of Sonic Youth in them:

The singer needs to eat though:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #819 on: February 06, 2020, 04:57:08 PM »
Now that I've bared my soul about Pink Floyd and Uwe and I are pseudo-engaged....

I learned to my regret that Samantha Fish played here in Fort Collins last night and I missed it!!

DANGIT!!

This is my kind of music....go in about a minute to get past the long talky intro.  I can't understand much of the vocal, but the guitar work is pretty cool.

HEY...think Gibson might put out one-a them oil can geetars like she's playing??

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 06, 2020, 07:02:39 PM »
Hey, I said first she was good!

Tsk, tsk, tsk, these attention lapses ...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:08:39 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 06, 2020, 08:30:38 PM »
Since you posted Dr. Hook's I Got Stoned and I Missed It, that reminds me, I read a few days ago about a mother having to explain to her child the meaning of these lyrics from Sylvia's Mother:

And the operator says
"Forty cents more, for the next three minutes"

Of course both songs are Shel Silverstein compositions.

Here's one that no one else covered. No one could sing like Shel.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 07, 2020, 08:15:21 AM »
You can close your eyes and hear Dennis Locorriere or Ray Sawyer (who tended to sing the goofy stuff) sing it - before they turned country-soul-disco (and had lasting success, but gave up their uniqueness), nearly everything the Hooks sang was Silverstein-penned. Sylvia's Mother was cinematic, I hear that lyric and I see a man in a telephone booth pleading. I remember listening to their second album (I had is as a tape) "Sloppy Seconds" in Kinshasa around 73/74 again and again, and Silverstein's lyrics would create all these pictures in my head. Many songs he wrote for the Hooks had a Steinbeck'esque quality to them:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:23:47 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 07, 2020, 08:27:41 AM »
This might just pass Dave's ruthless, yet discerning country test ...  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #824 on: February 07, 2020, 08:48:09 AM »
Samantha Fish is really great and a total doll. Very popular here in Chicago.

The Wall - I was never a big fan. I feel like there's a lot of filler. I've always considered Animals to be the last great PF album.