Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240943 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #765 on: January 24, 2020, 01:51:14 PM »
Herr Powell, I know you probably can't speak right now, but you sure can type! Are you alive?  :-\

Do write us in your druggy stupor please!

Danke bitte for your thoughts.

After two hours of the Herr Doktor whittling on my jaw, I emerged yesterday with a couple of new bone grafts (donated by an unnamed cadaver, but I guess now we're close personal friends...) and functioning with doses of 800 MG Ibuprofen.  I also got a scrip for Oxydodone, but I hate that stuff.  The semi-detached feeling it creates is something I really dislike, and I don't expect to use it. Therefore, I'm minimally stuporific, if very low-key.

Things are better than I feared. I just feel like I have a congestion headache and a sore throat, both caused by swelling from the work on my lower jaw. I am exploring the relative virtues of yogurt, pudding, and small refried bean & cheese burritos made with nice soft tortillas. Icewater and other cold drinks are also on the menu, and I have clearance for the occasional beer as needed. Recuperation proceeds apace.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 24, 2020, 03:36:51 PM »
Danke bitte for your thoughts.

After two hours of the Herr Doktor whittling on my jaw, I emerged yesterday with a couple of new bone grafts (donated by an unnamed cadaver, but I guess now we're close personal friends...) and functioning with doses of 800 MG Ibuprofen.  I also got a scrip for Oxydodone, but I hate that stuff.  The semi-detached feeling it creates is something I really dislike, and I don't expect to use it. Therefore, I'm minimally stuporific, if very low-key.

Things are better than I feared. I just feel like I have a congestion headache and a sore throat, both caused by swelling from the work on my lower jaw. I am exploring the relative virtues of yogurt, pudding, and small refried bean & cheese burritos made with nice soft tortillas. Icewater and other cold drinks are also on the menu, and I have clearance for the occasional beer as needed. Recuperation proceeds apace.

I've had way more done to my teeth than most people.  But I've not come close having anything like that done.  I had thought about commenting earlier.  But I'm glad now I didn't.  I might have come across as kind of clueless.  That sounds like an ordeal, though. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 24, 2020, 07:14:48 PM »
Wishing you a speedy recovery as well sir.
Playing some Stones with a happening organist sounds like a blast. Got any clips Uwe?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 24, 2020, 10:30:07 PM »
Al, I missed what you wrote about your upcoming oral surgery until just now, been under the weather this week. It sounds like things went as well as expected and that you're not in too much pain. Best wishes.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #769 on: January 25, 2020, 11:08:49 AM »
Al, I missed what you wrote about your upcoming oral surgery until just now, been under the weather this week. It sounds like things went as well as expected and that you're not in too much pain. Best wishes.

That sums it up pretty accurately. I'm fortunate, not much pain and the Ibuprofen is handling it.  Just staying a bit hungry because I'm on a very soft food diet.  Being very careful indeed about the surgical areas, which isn't easy because they got both sides of my mouth at the rear molars.

Last night JoAnn made meat loaf and mashed potatoes...absolute heaven!!

My thanks to all for their kind thoughts and comments.   :toast:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #770 on: January 26, 2020, 04:46:32 AM »
Found out about this band the other day

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #771 on: January 28, 2020, 09:07:35 AM »
From the land of windmills - Golden Caves. I like these kids. I've watched some live clips, and the (female) singer is pretty captivating. They also have a female keyboarder who does some good harmony vocals.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 29, 2020, 04:17:19 AM »
From the land of windmills - Golden Caves. I like these kids. I've watched some live clips, and the (female) singer is pretty captivating. They also have a female keyboarder who does some good harmony vocals.

Not the music I am drawn to by nature, but sounds rather good and really nice and good singer!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 29, 2020, 09:54:11 PM »
It's an Emmylou night.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 30, 2020, 05:30:37 AM »
Currently catching up with her - somehow she always escaped me (her rhythm section ended up with Status Quo in the mid 80ies), I didn't even know how her last name was pronounced (it's "Zooke", like in juke box), her voice is reminiscent of Christine McVie's, but more powerful:

Her 15 minutes of (largely English) fame were in the late 70ies/early 80ies, voice of Christine/hair of Stevie (Nicks)!  :mrgreen:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #775 on: January 30, 2020, 10:29:21 AM »
This was last evening: The Poison Squad.

It's a documentary from PBS about the incredible situation with foods before the turn of the 20th century and how the first food protection and purity laws came about. Chalk dust and formaldehyde in your milk? You betcha!  (And there's a mention of food purity laws in other countries, including the famous beer purity laws in Germany.)

Memorable. Disturbing. Definitely worth watching!

https://www.pbs.org/video/the-poison-squad-5sf93j/

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 31, 2020, 10:26:55 AM »
Not watchable in Germany due to rights restrictions!

Or perhaps because we still eat all this stuff.  :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #777 on: January 31, 2020, 01:55:32 PM »
Not watchable in Germany due to rights restrictions!

Or perhaps because we still eat all this stuff.  :mrgreen:

Actually, Germany was ahead of the US, especially when it comes to beer. That means they had their priorities right.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 31, 2020, 04:49:52 PM »
Come on, the Reinheitsgebot for beer was simply meant to seal off and protect the German beer market!  :mrgreen:

I have no issues with beer made from, say, rice. It's refreshing.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #779 on: January 31, 2020, 11:51:23 PM »
Actually, Germany was ahead of the US, especially when it comes to beer. That means they had their priorities right.

Isn't that the case with many things? Europe has been around for a few millennia...  :mrgreen: