Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240952 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #750 on: January 14, 2020, 10:55:01 AM »
Ha ha, Carly looks great. I don't understand why Sting insists on playing his bass like Earl Scruggs plays a banjo. Has he forgotten how to use a pick? This would be an instance that would merit using one you'd think.

I have a friend who prides himself on using that technique that Sting uses--whatever it's called.  He isn't a Sting fan, but just likes playing that way.  Also, he is probably more against playing with a pick than anyone I've seen.  Like me, though, Jack Bruce is his main hero.  But I use a pick in spite of Jack.  BTW, I don't know why Sting stopped using a pick. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 14, 2020, 02:31:18 PM »
Hasn't Sting always used his thumb on some songs?

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #752 on: January 14, 2020, 04:38:43 PM »
I can't speak to when he started, but I'm pretty sure it was all thumb and finger when I saw them on the reunion tour (Halloween 2007). He sounded GREAT.

Apparently it started with interest in classical guitar and lute.
He's still no anti-pick snob though.
https://www.guitarworld.com/features/sting-the-secrets-of-steering-a-band-from-the-low-end

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 15, 2020, 07:29:18 AM »
I remember Sting all pick'ish in the (very) Police early days, but already by Zenyatta Mondatta (3rd album) he was dabbling with uprights and electric fretless live (to Copeland's eternal chagrin) and using fingers with them.

I also remember that he mentioned in an interview that Jack Bruce and he realized at a certain point that their plucking techniques are similar, but that they had both been unaware of each others respective right hand style.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 15, 2020, 07:51:38 AM »
I think the Aerosmith song Tal Wilkenfeld corrected him on must have been this version of Sweet Emotion Uwe posted. The intro worked but was different from the regular version. Probably would have been easier with a pick too. He did switch to normal fingerstyle on the outro. That thumb plucking he uses looks like it would give you a cramp after a while especially on fast parts like this song has. I bet he was feeling it.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 15, 2020, 10:23:55 AM »
He doesn't play it at all like Tom Hamilton does who chords the riff with a pick and open strings, Sting's version is an approximation that wouldn't get him a job in any self-respecting Aerosmith tribute band, but he does play it like you would imagine Sting playing it. I like that, he puts his own stamp on it.

That interview with him is great, thanks for posting. I can relate to a lot what he says. Some of Stings solo music is "too adult" for me (I'm turning 60 this year, immaturity can last forever!  :mrgreen: ), that comes from his singing, but I've never had issues with his bass playing. When people said that he is not such a great bass player in the later days of Police, I marveled at their ignorance, did they ever really listen? I thought his bass playing was always witty.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:42:16 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 15, 2020, 10:26:32 AM »
Look no further when it comes to "one two-note-riff throughout"-minimalism, always loved that song, it was like something the MC5 could have done. Not very typical for Dr Hook, but they were a more versatile band than people give them credit for. Great lyric too.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 15, 2020, 10:49:46 AM »
Since we were talking about minimalism ...

Those lyrics ... sheer bloody art.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 15, 2020, 12:20:15 PM »
He doesn't play it at all like Tom Hamilton does who chords the riff with a pick and open strings, Sting's version is an approximation that wouldn't get him a job in any self-respecting Aerosmith tribute band, but he does play it like you would imagine Sting playing it. I like that, he puts his own stamp on it.

That interview with him is great, thanks for posting. I can relate to a lot what he says. Some of Stings solo music is "too adult" for me (I'm turning 60 this year, immaturity can last forever!  :mrgreen: ), that comes from his singing, but I've never had issues with his bass playing. When people said that he is not such a great bass player in the later days of Police, I marveled at their ignorance, did they ever really listen? I thought his bass playing was always witty.

If Sting was not such a great bass player, somebody should have told that to Stuart Clayton when he wrote his "Giants of Bass" book.  I remember the section on Sting as being pretty enjoyable.  However, I've lost a CD to this and that greatly reduces its usefulness to me.  The edition I have does seem at times like it has been a little rushed and maybe even improvised.  But it would be my guess that this new edtion corrects those faults. 

https://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2017/09/bass-books-giants-of-bass-vol-1-2/
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 16, 2020, 12:34:56 AM »

Some of Stings solo music is "too adult" for me (I'm turning 60 this year, immaturity can last forever!

someone once told me if you can make it to 50 without growing up then you don't have to!

I have one month to go

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 16, 2020, 10:04:53 PM »

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #761 on: January 23, 2020, 08:37:45 AM »
This is not predicted to be my best day. I'm going in this PM for oral surgery - a couple of bone grafts to prevent losing a couple of teeth. I'm not looking forward to it one...tiny...bit. Nor to the recovery..

Seems like about the time I retired, my body started playing tricks on me between teeth, feet and back. Nothing major or disabling, just stuff I never thought would really be "my problem." I'm sure I'm not alone in this, as I know there are others in my age group here.

The first music that popped into my head when contemplating this was the Vanilla Fudge doing "You Just Keep Me Hanging On."  Seems like that's what happens once you start feeling twinges that weren't there before.

Just finished watching this cut, which seems to go on forever.  It's kind of a period piece with the costumes and effects.
 It's long, it's a little self-important, and it's a nice example of psychedelic 60's rock. I just hope the recovery doesn't go on forever....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 09:48:34 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 23, 2020, 12:18:23 PM »
Ouch - but it has to be done. Keeping your teeth makes sense. No doubt you and they will be ... safe ...

I have a soft spot for the Fudgies, they basically invented the organ-drenched heavy sound - no Iron Butterfly, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Argent and countless other bands like Kautrockers Birth Control or Frumpy

with a loud B3 organ without them. That sound is still the epitome of heavy music to me, there is something majestic about an overly loud Hammond, I can't help it, maybe it's a Teutonic thing, you know Bach and all that!  :mrgreen:

I've been playing in a glorified Stones tribute for a while (something I always hoped to avoid - a tribute of any kind, yet here I am, in the sunset of my musical career ....), but the most redeeming factor (aside that they are all excellent musicians and good friends) is the quality of our organ/piano/synth player and the dominant role he plays (with my wholehearted support). With all other Stones cover bands, the keyboards (just like with the Stones themselves) are an add-on embellishing the music, with us (and we have two guitarists doing the Keith/Ron thing) the keyboards are pivotal - to the point where we sometimes crack the joke that we should call us "Rolling Purple" or "Deep Stones".  ;D I just love it when Dirk unleashes that Hammond sound, be it as a solo or as a backing rhythm/harmony instrument.

Back to the Fudgies' epochal Supremes cover, a carbon copy of it was done many years later by NWOBHM outfit Nightwing - by that time "You Keep Me Hanging On" was more associated with Vanilla Fudge than with The Supremes, which I guess is the ultimate accolade for a cover.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 12:24:29 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 24, 2020, 03:19:24 AM »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 24, 2020, 04:57:32 AM »
Herr Powell, I know you probably can't speak right now, but you sure can type! Are you alive?  :-\

Do write us in your druggy stupor please!