Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 241033 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #735 on: January 10, 2020, 08:26:51 AM »
Daltry's voice is remarkable!  Still on top of it.

And they're getting prophetic, as usual - everything fades

Streamed a couple of songs yesterday. It's really quite good!

Remember our talented Italian Signorinas from Black Mamba?

I just saw the bass player Cecilia Nappo back in October with Goblin here in Chicago, playing her ruby red Ric. She can play, AND she looks good in fishnets.  8)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 10, 2020, 08:49:11 AM »
"She looks good in fishnets."

That's what I like about this place, only sheer unadulterated musicality counts and nothing else.

I don't know what Daltrey has done, but he sounds better on recent recordings (the orchestral Tommy released by him with Pete's son on guitar, the new Who album) than he has for a long time. That last live album of The Who

was nothing to write home about, Daltrey was struggling. He got away with it on the Wilko Johnson collaboration from a few years ago because he switched to baritone singing.

The songwriting on the new Who CD is good too, Pete has regained some fire and inspiration.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:57:37 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #737 on: January 10, 2020, 10:07:59 AM »
Remember our talented Italian Signorinas from Black Mamba?

My desktop sound system has strong bass - this blew me away.  She may look great in fishnets, but DAMN, she can play!! Excellent!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 10, 2020, 11:22:41 AM »
But I never said a bad word about our Axis Allies! There's a saying in Germany according to which "Germans love Italians, but they don't respect them. With the Italians it's the other way around."  :mrgreen:

But all my favorite Italian songs are somehow non-rock:

Most people here will know this from Laura Branigan, but he wrote it:

Now where's my assless chaps? Eric Adams ain't Luciano Pavarotti, but he does more than alright here:

All of Middle of the Road's early 70ies bubble gum hits (I have a soft spot for) were penned by an Italian songwriter team who had discovered the Scottish outfit on an Italian cruise liner as a Top 40 ballroom covers band (and obviously heard something):

I had been watching some rock videos of a singer from a country which will go unnamed.  Because I'd rather not say anything negative about it.  What I will say is that I actually know a lot about it.  I've studied it a lot.  Years ago I knew some people from there pretty well.  For a while, I was even beginning to get somewhat of a grasp on the language.  Long story short.  The singer from Country X was really good.  But once I started listening to her band, it became evident that they weren't so good.  It was a case of people having some talent, but not able to get cohesion or any kind of groove.  I began to realize that it was actually difficult to find any good rock music from that country.  For the record, it is now just as hard to find good rock music in my own country.  BTW, the unnamed country I mentioned is not European. 

What happened is by coincidence I began getting You Tube suggestions from Italy.  I've always liked Lacuna Coil.  But these were rock bands I had never even heard of.  Still, they were pretty good.  It began to help give me a greater appreciation of Italian rock, even if that may not be their most recognized genre. 

I had never heard of that saying about Italy and Germany.  However, that fits in with what I know, even if World War II is not my specialty.  If I have a specialty at all, it would be the American Civil War. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:27:52 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 10, 2020, 11:49:56 AM »
"If I have a specialty at all, it would be the American Civil War."

For once, we had nothing to do with that one!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 10, 2020, 12:15:42 PM »
"If I have a specialty at all, it would be the American Civil War."

For once, we had nothing to do with that one!

Neither you nor any other country had very much to do with that one.   :sad:
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 10, 2020, 12:43:26 PM »
it was probably our fault somewhere along the line (brits)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 10, 2020, 12:47:39 PM »
Yeah, you never stick around for long and see what happened/happens!  :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #743 on: January 11, 2020, 12:15:42 PM »
it was probably our fault somewhere along the line (brits)

I thought it was traditional to blame the French...?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 11, 2020, 06:33:23 PM »
This popped up in my YT suggestions today. It's from 2000.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 13, 2020, 12:03:18 PM »
I didn't have enough money/monthly allowance to buy this when it came out in 1977 though I always wanted to (it was on some wrinkled paper list I always carried with me in my wallet, by now I have actually all those back then unbought albums on CD  :)). By the time I could afford it, it was already deleted.  ;D Never came out on CD - except some demos a few years ago. But now the album has seen a CD release on some tiny label and I finally get to hear it. Surprise, surprise, it would have made a good Alice Cooper Group album, they sure didn't try to hide who they were.  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:12:37 PM by uwe »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 14, 2020, 02:00:10 AM »
I didn't have enough money/monthly allowance to buy this when it came out in 1977 though I always wanted to (it was on some wrinkled paper list I always carried with me in my wallet, by now I have actually all those back then unbought albums on CD  :)). By the time I could afford it, it was already deleted.  ;D Never came out on CD - except some demos a few years ago. But now the album has seen a CD release on some tiny label and I finally get to hear it. Surprise, surprise, it would have made a good Alice Cooper Group album, they sure didn't try to hide who they were.  :mrgreen:

I have this one on vinyl. Trade it for your EB-6  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 14, 2020, 08:27:38 AM »
Aerosmith have a new bassist looking much like Flea, a guitarist from The Yardbirds and Carly Simon is now doing the singing!

Seeing Herr Sumner in a hard rock setting playing synchronized riffs sure is something different.  :)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 14, 2020, 08:55:49 AM »
Ha ha, Carly looks great. I don't understand why Sting insists on playing his bass like Earl Scruggs plays a banjo. Has he forgotten how to use a pick? This would be an instance that would merit using one you'd think.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #749 on: January 14, 2020, 09:53:29 AM »
Aerosmith have a new bassist looking much like Flea, a guitarist from The Yardbirds and Carly Simon is now doing the singing!

Seeing Herr Sumner in a hard rock setting playing synchronized riffs sure is something different.  :)

That was cool. Couple of my favorites up there (Beck and Sumner). Both playing with their thumbs.  :)