Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240905 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #675 on: November 27, 2019, 04:53:20 PM »
That is exactly how I feel about it.
I saw Robert Kearns perform live with Cry Of Love. He had two SVT heads plus two 8x10 fridges. And he used The Triumph aka les Paul Bass. I was/is the best bass sound I had ever heard.
It was the moment and place where I decided I needed a Les Paul Bass too.

That's just good taste.  Something, unfortunately, which can often go against the prevailing trend. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 28, 2019, 07:13:55 PM »
I had no idea that these guys - after decades apart - have reunited, I loved them in the late 80ies (I know, Billy Idol, Duran Duran, Simple Minds and U2*** all rolled into one, but still):

And they are still in great shape, I think a visit to a club gig in Belfast is in order!

*** whose bassist, Adam Clayton ...  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 07:20:36 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 30, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »
I really like this version of Centerfield. A tad higher tempo and excellent bassplaying from George Hawkins Jr (R.I.P).
(you will have to click the link since embedded playing is not set for this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqY7e4bP9PQ&list=RDYqY7e4bP9PQ&start_radio=1

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 06, 2019, 12:21:07 PM »
Himmel, I'm turning all early 80ies!  :mrgreen:

Cracker of a live version here (as a lead guitarist he was criminally underrated):

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 06, 2019, 12:45:00 PM »
^^^
I had a guitarist friend (who died from smoking) who also always maintained that Prince was underrated as a guitarist.  He wasn't a fan and neither am I, but Prince came up with some good music.

https://themuse.jezebel.com/an-abbreviated-guide-to-the-new-massive-prince-1999-bo-1840180898

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #680 on: December 06, 2019, 06:58:46 PM »

B.O.C.

I'll never tire of them, hadn't seen this before. I saw them at least four times, twice at Seattle's Paramont (they recorded part of "On your feet or on your knees") the second time there.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 07, 2019, 05:43:47 AM »
^^^
I had a guitarist friend (who died from smoking) who also always maintained that Prince was underrated as a guitarist.  He wasn't a fan and neither am I, but Prince came up with some good music.

I remember sometime in the nineties guitarist magazine did a thing where they got their interviewees to list the top 5 guitarists that they rated, and Prince came top by a big margin

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 07, 2019, 06:29:29 AM »
I remember sometime in the nineties guitarist magazine did a thing where they got their interviewees to list the top 5 guitarists that they rated, and Prince came top by a big margin

That was quite a long time ago when my friend told me that.  At the time, I wasn't too used to hearing someone say that.  But since then I've heard several others say the same thing.  I did take his word for it, though.  He was quite an accomplished rhythm guitarist and singer--in local terms at least. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 08, 2019, 07:38:01 PM »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 08, 2019, 07:39:51 PM »

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #685 on: December 08, 2019, 10:21:46 PM »
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 09, 2019, 07:44:22 AM »
^^^

Good seasonal choice!

Unlike a certain other country at Christmas, where they have Frau Perchta and Krampus instead of Santa figures.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #687 on: December 09, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »

Love these guys!!

We had tickets to Brian Setzer's Orchestra in Denver tonight, but he has a tinnitus problem and had to cancel.  Bummer.

If you ever get the chance to see them, take it. They're fantastic!!  The combination of big band and rockabilly is really fun, and I love the way he passes the solos around the orchestra.  There are very few chances to see anything like that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 08:58:47 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 10, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »
They've finally remixed (not just remastered) Be Bop Deluxe's Modern Music (into which Nelson channeled his USA touring experiences) ...

I love the remix, it sounds like they pulled some shroud away, the old mix always sounded a little muffled to me. But that still exists in a fresh remaster (the above remix snippet corresponds with 0:55 of the old mix remaster here and the difference is very audible) too:

It's a 4 CD box plus DVD,

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/be-bop-deluxe-modern-music-4cd-1dvd-deluxe-boxset-edition/

so there are some unreleased goodies as well. Like this "official bootleg" from Chicago 1976:

And Charlie Tumahai, the talented (and unfortunately late) Maori bassist (with a Telecaster Bass) in the group (who influenced me quite a bit if I listen to him now), was always their best dancer. Not much competition from the others though!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 01:15:20 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 10, 2019, 01:22:22 PM »
^^^

Good seasonal choice!

Unlike a certain other country at Christmas, where they have Frau Perchta and Krampus instead of Santa figures.

WTF? Never heard of either, I come from a good Catholic part of Germany (with early Christianization!) where we don't have your heathenish, imaginary Santa Claus (show me the part in the New Testament where he is mentioned even in passing?  :mrgreen:) creeping around, but the one and only Christkind:

Never mind how I could never figure out as a kid whether the Christkind was boy, girl, neuter or transgender, Jesus in young or an angel. That is why it's called Glauben and not Wissen ...

There is a boundary through Germany: South (mostly Catholic) is Christkind, North (mostly Protestant) is Weihnachtsmann, an (Lutheran-Protestant?) approximation of your Santa Claus, who - alas! - has been gaining ground over the decades.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 01:37:39 PM by uwe »