Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240955 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #645 on: November 22, 2019, 09:10:50 AM »
Nice. I would have liked to hear more Billy Duffy influence in that song though.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #646 on: November 22, 2019, 09:31:25 AM »
I first saw videos of this guy a few years ago when he was a teenager, he was a talented guitarist. Now he's all of 20 and put out his first album earlier this year. He can sing too.

Also, he's a first cousin once removed of Charley Pride.

I really like that!  I checked his tour page and he's not in the Denver area any time soon, but you never know...I'll keep an eye out.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 22, 2019, 11:10:34 AM »
The Smiths are always current and now have a new lyric writer of German origin, very, very talented, it's the truth.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 22, 2019, 11:13:22 AM »
The Smiths are always current and now have a new lyric writer of German origin.

Lol I've now heard that verse in the style of the Ramones, Nine inch nails, and now the smiths whats next do you think ?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 01:25:33 PM by wellREDman »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 22, 2019, 11:19:00 AM »
Haven't heard the Ramones version, where is it? The Bruddahs commemorating a fellow New Yorker Floridian!

There will be a Rammstein version too no doubt:

Ich ...
Ich will ...
Ich will nichts ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 22, 2019, 11:27:20 AM »
Ah, there it is, lovely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=8lnycszxXVk&feature=emb_logo

Goes to show how words of eternal truth just about fit to any type of music.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 22, 2019, 11:40:37 AM »
Metal Trump is pretty awesome.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #652 on: November 22, 2019, 12:45:05 PM »
great mashup

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 22, 2019, 03:19:24 PM »
I will nichts.  LMAO.  My knowledge of German continues to expand.  However, I finally got my German course in the mail and it's an American speaking with an Austrian accent.  Certainly, I was hoping for an actual German, preferably one like my tour guide who was from somewhere in central Germany and spoke the most beautiful German I'd ever heard. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #654 on: November 22, 2019, 04:43:34 PM »
If my German is still accurate from 1966, that's "Ich werde nichts..."  Which I should add is one of the few phrases I recall from that class in high school. 

But it was astounding how much came back to me a couple of years ago during a Viking cruise down the Rhine. The structure is consistent and so many word roots are shared with (read: helped create) 'Murrican English.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 22, 2019, 05:43:57 PM »
If my German is still accurate from 1966, that's "Ich werde nichts..."  Which I should add is one of the few phrases I recall from that class in high school. 

But it was astounding how much came back to me a couple of years ago during a Viking cruise down the Rhine. The structure is consistent and so many word roots are shared with (read: helped create) 'Murrican English.

Yes, I just noticed I typed "I" by mistake instead of "Ich."  However, I have had no German at all.  I only took Spanish in high school.  I was attempting to quote Uwe, but missed the word "Ich."  English does share a lot of words with German.  However, the languages are so different, I haven't decided yet how much help that will be.  I haven't taken any French, either.  But I'm going through a French course now.  I'm finding it easier than the German.  I'm surprised at how many cognates there are due to thousands of French words coming into the English language after 1066. 

As for 'werde" or "will" I've already seen both words in my lessons.  I'm not sure exactly how they are used. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 22, 2019, 09:43:33 PM »
Here's another larger than life entertainer I heard for the first time on  tv the other day.

He's been gone for many years. I always liked his voice.

On a related note, according to wikipedia, Christone's cousin Charley didn't care for the racial undertones he perceived in the song. I don't see what's wrong with it.

I just looked at his wikipedia page, I don't see any reference to that. There were probably racial undertones to Screamin' Jay Hawkins' original recording, but the song has been covered many times.

4stringer77

• View Profile
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 23, 2019, 10:03:05 AM »
Here's were I found it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rednecks,_White_Socks_and_Blue_Ribbon_Beer

I completely misunderstood you.  :-[  When you called him Christone's cousin Charley, I thought you were referring to I Put A Spell On You. 

There's nothing overtly racist about the Johnny Russell song, but I can understand Charley's feelings, especially back in the 70s.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 23, 2019, 10:35:44 AM »
I had no idea until I looked it up that Johnny Russell had written "Act Naturally."  He had to do something with music one day and cancelled a date.  He jokingly told his girlfriend they were going to put him in the movies and make a big star out of him.  He decided to make the lines into a song.  He couldn't get anyone interested in it.  Then, of course, Buck Owens made it into a big hit and some lads from Liverpool recorded it, too, as well as others. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:09:54 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal