Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240938 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #570 on: October 26, 2019, 12:28:27 PM »
Just when you thought we were out, they drag us back in,  :vader:

After Greta Van Fleet, I really wasn't expecting another LZ rip-off band.  I know the world is a pretty big place, but I still wonder how much more of this kind of stuff it can contain.  LZ had their say, although I much preferred the Yardbirds.  But maybe it's time to move on. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #571 on: October 26, 2019, 12:30:43 PM »
For me this has not much in common with Led Zeppelin.
Except maybe the screamin parts in the lead vocal.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 26, 2019, 02:38:09 PM »
This article says they were mostly influenced by LZ nd AC/DC.  But they don't sound like AC/DC at all to me. 

https://www.rawmusictv.com/article/amp/2019/Unsigned-band-make-Rock-history-by-landing-number-one-Billboard-Chart-position-Dirty-Honey
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 26, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »
I noticed they briefly got mentioned in "This is Spinal Tap"

No idea if that was intended to be a reference to the real band or just a comic aside. They did a couple of US tours back in the day but never played Kansas City, much less at a Ramada Inn.  :)

Their 2019 promo video

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 26, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »
I think it was likely a comic aside.  Most of the movie is about stuff that wasn't even real anyway. 

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #575 on: October 27, 2019, 03:02:18 AM »
I think it was likely a comic aside.  Most of the movie is about stuff that wasn't even real anyway.

Wait! What?
Spinal Tap wasn’t for real?
 :mrgreen:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 27, 2019, 07:21:13 AM »
Wait! What?
Spinal Tap wasn’t for real?
 :mrgreen:

It was funny.  ;D  I wish they could come up with stuff like that more often, but I guess comedy isn't very easy. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 27, 2019, 03:58:56 PM »
I read today that Joe Sun died Friday. Rochester, Minnesota native. He hadn't been active in a long time. I liked his stuff from the late 70s to mid 80s.

From 1978.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 28, 2019, 07:56:20 AM »
I like it

What else is new?  :mrgreen:

Not Led Zep'ish you say? You used to lie a lot better!  :-* :mrgreen: It has Zep-marks all over it, just listen to the guitar arrangement during the chorus. Not all of their songs are in that vein though, it has to be said. No CD out yet (just an EP), but it probably won't be long.

It's well done, no issue with it. Getting Led Zep out of the US rock blood system is futile. They have thoroughly contaminated you (and - obviously - parts of The Netherlands).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:08:12 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #579 on: October 28, 2019, 09:28:44 AM »
To me they sound more like a mix between AC/DC and Aerosmith. If that is the same as Led Zeppelin in your book, than it's fine with me. You might as well say that all hard rock bands are Led Zeppelin clones.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:40:27 AM by Basvarken »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 28, 2019, 11:52:16 AM »
I read today that Joe Sun died Friday. Rochester, Minnesota native. He hadn't been active in a long time. I liked his stuff from the late 70s to mid 80s.

From 1978.

This song was co-written by Dickey Betts.  Up to this point, I wasn't familiar with it. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 28, 2019, 03:13:05 PM »
To me they sound more like a mix between AC/DC and Aerosmith. If that is the same as Led Zeppelin in your book, than it's fine with me. You might as well say that all hard rock bands are Led Zeppelin clones.

Nope, there are - thankfully so - a lot of hard and heavy rock bands which are largely or totally Led Zep-content-free: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Golden Earring, Queensryche, Thin Lizzy, Ted Nugent, Bloodrock, Status Quo, Cactus, Grand Funk Railroad, Foghat, Scorpions, Judas Priest, James Gang, Accept, Saxon, Humble Pie, UFO/MSG, Blue Öyster Cult, Iron Maiden, Nazareth, Motörhead, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Bad Company (though on Swan Song, Led Zep's vanity label), Mott the Hoople, Slade ...

Zep's dominance as a musical influence is very much an American phenomenon. Whitesnake is a good example - their music was still un-zep'ish on their early to mid period albums (when they reigned Europe and Japan, but couldn't get arrested in the US). Come Coverdale's urge to crack the US market, come the first marked Zep influence with Slow 'n' Easy on Slide It In (after dissolution of the classic Whitesnake lineup) and of course Still of the Night on the US-conquering 1987 album. All credit must go to Peter Grant who kept Led Zep touring the US (and pretty much nowhere else) so incessantly until they had even a country as huge as the US in their pocket. He sure had a master plan, he criss-cross-vaccinated the biggest music market in the world with his protegés.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 03:34:43 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 28, 2019, 09:50:03 PM »
This song was co-written by Dickey Betts.  Up to this point, I wasn't familiar with it. 

That's the flip side of Ready For The Times To Get Better, which was Joe's 1980 cover of Crystal Gayle's 1978 hit.

Old Flames Can't Hold a Candle to You was co-written by Hugh Moffatt and his then-wife Pebe Sebert, who is the mother of the notorious Ke$ha, who has now dropped the dollar sign and is just Kesha. I noticed she was scheduled to be on Jimmy Kimmel tonight. Glad I missed it.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 28, 2019, 10:14:44 PM »
That's the flip side of Ready For The Times To Get Better, which was Joe's 1980 cover of Crystal Gayle's 1978 hit.

Old Flames Can't Hold a Candle to You was co-written by Hugh Moffatt and his then-wife Pebe Sebert, who is the mother of the notorious Ke$ha, who has now dropped the dollar sign and is just Kesha. I noticed she was scheduled to be on Jimmy Kimmel tonight. Glad I missed it.

My familiarity with Kesha is pretty sketchy.  Usually when I see her name it has something to do with suing her producer for sexual assault.  But it isn't a case I've kept up with. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 29, 2019, 09:00:55 AM »
I just know her from this here:

Old age is taking its toll on me: I had tickets to see The Struts in Cologne last Friday and then forgot to go. Ouch. The ticket company sends me an email on Sunday and asks me: "How did you like The Struts in concert, Uwe?" How inane ...  :-\