Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240963 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #495 on: September 16, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »
I've liked Ali's acting ever since House of Cards when I first became aware of him. Also his role as the drug dealer with a father's conscience in Moonlight and now this. He could be the new Denzel Washington, a black actor who is not typecast in being the "oh, the black guy" in the movie.

As for fact vs. fiction, it's a movie! Tony Lip's son was incremental in it coming about and he and the director were supposedly instructed by Shirley to (a) not liaise with his (Shirley's) family about the movie, (b) wait until his death with releasing a film about his tour in the South (I guess the gay scene described below has to do with that). But what do I know.

I'm not sure he would have needed a racist white bouncer with Mafia ties and a gun as his driver and bodyguard to tour black colleges and universities in the Deep South. That seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. But the movie is as much My Fair Lady/Pygmalion as it is a buddy black & white movie - with Dr Shirley being Professor Higgins. It's not just about race, it is also about class. Don Shirley is a proudly sophisticated and even vain man throughout the movie, aloof from everyone.

Probably the most nuanced scene is when Tony stumbles into a YMCA sauna/public bath after the police have handcuffed Dr Shirley (and his chance male white lover) naked and beat up to a heater. Dr Shirley is severely embarrassed and evidently surprised how matter-of-factly Tony accepts his homosexuality. When he tries to apologize for bringing Tony "into a situation", Tony says something (I paraphrase) that sounded very familiar to me back when I still worked in the Frankfurt red light district: "Look, I've worked all my life in night clubs, I know artists ... and what's going on ... it's ok." That was not waving a gay agenda flag, it was a simple everyday decent reaction. Make no bones about it, life goes on.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:36:13 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #496 on: September 18, 2019, 02:10:07 PM »
Shows you how much attention I pay to award shows. Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor and I never heard of its existence.

Since Uwe brought it up, I did a bit of reading about it, and read an article about the pushback from the Shirley family. Among other things, they said the tour was a tour of black colleges and universities, not a general public tour. That alone makes a big difference. Sounds like the movie has a hefty dose of fiction along with the biographical elements.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that Hollywood would add dramatic elements to a true story!  :o

Seriously Dave, it's a well told story with some great acting. I think you'd find it enjoyable.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 20, 2019, 08:58:19 AM »
Jim Croce died 46 years ago today.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 20, 2019, 02:52:02 PM »
Aside from Leroy Brown I thought he was a real talent. RIP Jim

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 26, 2019, 04:53:53 AM »
Shakespear's Sister are back! Those two didn't even speak with each other for like a quarter of the century since their 90ies heydays, but they are back now:

Always dug them, Siobhan's and Marcella's respective voices aren't earth-shattering, but they gel to a vocal sound all of its own. The above (new) song has a Lee Hazlewood vibe. This one (also new) is more a Roy Orbison pastiche:

Their 90ies hits were:

Their videos were (and are) brilliant too. I always assumed they were a couple; if it lets you make clever pop like this, then can I be lesbian too please?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 26, 2019, 06:08:04 AM »

And on the other side of the pond:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 26, 2019, 07:13:42 PM »
Remembering Marty Robbins, born 94 years ago today.

Johnnie Ray's Top 40 cover.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #502 on: September 27, 2019, 01:49:55 PM »
You inspired me...my all time favorite of his.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 27, 2019, 03:15:41 PM »
Bingo! So that is where Ian Gillan got the idea for "Rosa's Cantina" from - name dropping from 50ies music yet again, a penchant of his (think of the Speed King lyrics).

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:20:58 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 27, 2019, 10:20:18 PM »
Harp Metal

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 28, 2019, 12:59:43 AM »
You inspired me...my all time favorite of his.

Here's mine :)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #506 on: September 28, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
GREAT TUNE!  I can sing that one from memory even today...

And BTW, Thursday night my wife and I saw Chicago play...they did two solid hours plus a couple of encores.

They are still rocking, and still have a couple of members from the original lineup - trombone and trumpet. Still a very, very tight sound. 

Their second set started with a killer rendition of "I'm A Man," which they can really stomp. I've loved that number ever since I heard the Spencer Davis/Steve Winwood version. The bass player started it and led much of the tune.  The final encore was "25 or 6 to 4" which was about a 10-minute tour de force.

One thing that struck me was that in "Make Me Smile" there was a long, excellent drum solo, which used to be a staple with great bands, but which you hardly see anymore. They had both a drummer and percussionist, and they swapped places once or twice during the solo as well.  Loved it!

Great concert, recommended.

(I have photos but can't get them small enough to post...)

Hey, I finally made it small enough!  Check this...not sure it's worth posting. I must be doing something wrong.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 12:18:56 PM by Pilgrim »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #507 on: September 30, 2019, 08:25:05 AM »
Been on a Burt Bacharach kick lately. Man, what an incredible pop song writer! I love his stuff. Reminds me of being a very young kid in the late 60s/early 70s.

Picked up a two CD greatest hits recently. This song here - WOW! Talk about a "different time".  ;D There would be women marching in the streets if this were released today.  :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 30, 2019, 10:01:23 PM »
That came out a few months before the Beatles arrived in New York. Different times, for sure. Jack Jones was singing for those in my parents' generation who couldn't stand our music.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 30, 2019, 10:02:46 PM »
Best singer in the Carter family, sadly overlooked today.