Author Topic: Grabber 2 Flying V conversion???  (Read 13597 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Grabber 2 Flying V conversion???
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »
High output pups help (a mudbucker is high output), a long (or even longer) scale helps, a massive neck(-thru) helps.

Of my five Flying Vs (Gibson, Kramer, Ibanez, Dean DOA and Dean Dimebag Razorback), the Razorback is the best-sounding one: 35" maho neck thru with basswood wings and active pups, assless Manowar chaps optional:

It approximates the sound of an active TBird, kind of like a Gene Simmons Punisher sounds too which has similar components, i.e. maho neck-thru and active pups.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 12:47:56 PM »
I think the might have been better served by using a single mudbucker at the neck, or maybe even the EB-3 config. the low end generated by the big pickup and its placement might have been tamed by the body's shortcomings, resulting in something more practical, soundwise. After all, Ripper pickups were not what one would consider high output units. Plus, look at all the bottom they got out of a skinny SG body as an EB-0.
Kinda like this red thing I used to have.

Hey Lowend do you still have that Ibanez Destroyer ? I bought mine new in '76 ! mine has been modded over the years but it still is a great bass
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »
  Hey Lowend do you still have that Ibanez Destroyer ? I bought mine new in '76 ! mine has been modded over the years but it still is a great bass
Ha! Great story there - No I don't... The Destroyer got traded even up for the EB-3 that I sold to buy the Gibson "Dying V" Bass. The good part of the story is that 15 years later I got the EB-3 back for exactly what I sold it for (not much). It's neck was always a little squirrely, but upon its return I found that it had some serious issues, like a tremendous bow. When I tried to correct it, the adjusting nut sheared off (somebody had epoxied it in place). It sat that way for another 13 years. Just recently, I found a local tech who had the neato Stewmac tool to hog out the wood around the truss rod so we could rethread the broken end. That was just over a month ago, and provided the neck remains stable, "Stinky" will be getting a refret very soon. Fingers crossed.
I never liked the sound of the Destroyer - I  found myself comparing it to the Thunderbird, but it was clearly a different animal. That's actually the only pic I have of it.
BTW, is that Bart one of their T-Bird pups? How do you like it?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:55:10 PM by lowend1 »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 02:57:13 PM »
High output pups help (a mudbucker is high output), a long (or even longer) scale helps, a massive neck(-thru) helps.

Of my five Flying Vs (Gibson, Kramer, Ibanez, Dean DOA and Dean Dimebag Razorback), the Razorback is the best-sounding one: 35" maho neck thru with basswood wings and active pups, assless Manowar chaps optional:

It approximates the sound of an active TBird, kind of like a Gene Simmons Punisher sounds too which has similar components, i.e. maho neck-thru and active pups.

Uwe

One question: does that bass balance at all?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 03:15:23 PM »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »

Wow. Two Model One - for two times the fun! ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 05:53:57 PM »
I can't see how the pickup's output would make a difference. You can always boost output after the fact.

Location could make a major difference.

I recall a study that was online some years ago, funded by Gibson. IIRC it showed body vibration patterns of a V (or maybe an Explorer) and a conventional shape and they were noticeably different.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »
I think a good V bass is possible.  The Ibanez came close.  The ebay thing is ap-cray. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »
 Ya notice how Uwe gently skirts the assless chaps issue often............. ;)
On topic I used an Ibanez V as a second to my Rick 4001 for about 3 months back in '78.....Looked cool but that neck was just too big for smallish girly hands.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:26:24 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 06:44:51 PM »
 The Destroyer with the mudbucker and the Bart Tbird pup sounds just amazing one of my best sounding bases
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 07:45:26 PM »
... assless Manowar chaps optional

Assless chaps was DLR - Manowar was more of a loincloth and animal hides band

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 08:15:15 PM »

Assless chaps was DLR - Manowar was more of a loincloth and animal hides band

My eyes!.......... :o
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 04:35:03 AM »
One question: does that bass balance at all?

Indeed it does. Perfectly. Like a TBird, it is lighter than it looks too. Flying Vs generally don't balance bad at all, because most of the body mass is way back.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 04:38:36 AM »
I can't see how the pickup's output would make a difference. You can always boost output after the fact.

Location could make a major difference.

I recall a study that was online some years ago, funded by Gibson. IIRC it showed body vibration patterns of a V (or maybe an Explorer) and a conventional shape and they were noticeably different.

A loud pup can't be the saving grace for a bass that sounds inherently crap, but I remember how Bruce/Captaincolor was always quite satisfied with his Gibson "V" which had been EMG'ized by a pre-owner. The Ripper pups are a docile affair, yet the Ripper lends them some authority via sheer size, but on the Flying V shape they just sound meek.

Uwe

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 04:42:16 AM »
"Skirting the assless chaps issue", my, Mark is the Head Mistress of innuendo and elegant puns!