Author Topic: Sg reissue bodies made of Limba, not real mahogany????  (Read 1284 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Sg reissue bodies made of Limba, not real mahogany????
« on: March 12, 2008, 07:57:27 AM »
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-4034.htm
GIBSON SG BASS SUPREME (2007)
 EC+, natural satin finish, nice looking maple top on limba body, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, trapezoid inlays, 20 frets, mini humbucking pickup at bridge, vintage style Gibson "low hovering cloud tone" neck pickup, 3-way adjustable bridge, just right for that Cream tribute band, 1-11/16" nut, 30-1/2" scale, with deluxe OHSC (SN:000570459)

Limba is a non mahogany species that is used as a cheap substitute for Honduran Mahogany and I believe considered to be even more inferior than African Mahogany (another non mahogany substitute)

I thought that was the wood used in Epi EB's???

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Sg reissue bodies made of Limba, not real mahogany????
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:22:49 AM »
The SG Supreme is that hideous looking laminated natural finished thing that is getting dumped everywhere.  Unless you like it, then it is very attractive.

Limba is Korina as well, as I recall.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:10:42 AM »
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-4034.htm
Limba is a non mahogany species that is used as a cheap substitute for Honduran Mahogany and I believe considered to be even more inferior than African Mahogany (another non mahogany substitute)

I thought that was the wood used in Epi EB's???

No. Limba is the species name for what Gibson calls Korina. It's not a mahogany at all and no one claims it is. In today's market, it's more expensive than genuine mahogany.

You may be confusing it with lauan, the so-called philippine mahogany.

The real question is why Elderly thinks it's limba. AFAIK it's mahogany. They're also dead wrong about the "vintage style Gibson 'low hovering cloud tone' neck pickup" -- as you know, it's nothing of the sort.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:28:22 AM »
The SG Supreme is that hideous looking laminated natural finished thing that is getting dumped everywhere.  Unless you like it, then it is very attractive.

Limba is Korina as well, as I recall.

What is so hideous about the SG Supreme? I think it looks quite good actually...

No. Limba is the species name for what Gibson calls Korina. It's not a mahogany at all and no one claims it is. In today's market, it's more expensive than genuine mahogany.
Korina sounds excellent to my ears. Always loved the -somewhat hollow- Flying V (the guitar) tone.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:11:51 AM »
I like korina too - it is one ugly, plain Jane wood, but its sonic characteristics are nice, sort of between alder and mahogany. I'd pick up a korina SG in a heartbeat, but unfortunately mine looks and sounds decidedly mahogany!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...