Author Topic: Saddle-Less Bridge  (Read 3603 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Saddle-Less Bridge
« on: April 19, 2019, 07:12:56 AM »
This is an interesting concept. I don't know about all the promo/hype in the description (necessary evil I guess), but I'd be willing to let my ears and hands decide if it's a genuine improvement or at least a usable option.

https://www.bestbassgear.com/ray-ross-saddleless-bridge.htm?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%5BSB%5D+Dynamic+Product+Ads&fbclid=IwAR1Gblras58VsA095YN3Y3CTXvzIK78TtTTFxwVoITLE9RxOOrInUfxQpV4

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Saddle-Less Bridge
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 07:22:22 AM »
In my opinion it solves a non existing problem.

Plus, I would rather have the consistent part of the string vibrate between two points (being top nut and bridge saddle), than having the double wound part near the ball-end join in too.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 08:21:21 AM »
Seems like it over-complicates the process. I want simple. That's why the three-point is genius (ducking :mrgreen: :mrgreen:).
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 02:11:48 PM »
I saw it a couple of months ago at No Treble and immediately thought the same thing as Rob about the double wound portion at the end. That can't be good.

Adjustable saddles have been around for decades, and they work. I don't have a problem with intonation or with the "kink" removing string energy. It's a witness point, not a problem.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »

Not really all that different from a Fender.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 09:13:32 AM »
Im not sure I understand the mount mechanism and what issue it is solving.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 01:22:15 PM »
No palm mute? No thanks. I already have my Rickenbackers for that ;-)
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 10:48:16 PM »
Not really all that different from a Fender.

Sure it's different. It has no saddles.

Never mind that saddles have been an integral part of stringed instruments for centuries. This company claims to have solved a problem we didn't know we had. What a load of nonsense hype IMHO.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 02:13:40 AM »
Hmm, not for me i guess - I love the flawless simplicity of the bar bridge, the only real king of bridges!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 09:20:29 AM »
Sure it's different. It has no saddles.

Never mind that saddles have been an integral part of stringed instruments for centuries. This company claims to have solved a problem we didn't know we had. What a load of nonsense hype IMHO.

Okay I acquiesce.  But I think that saddles are an important part of the recipe without a tailpiece.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 08:54:07 PM »
Okay I acquiesce.  But I think that saddles are an important part of the recipe without a tailpiece.

With or without a separate tailpiece, the saddle is the body-end witness point. There's no good reason to eliminate it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 03:05:42 AM »
I think it's interesting. I saw it at the NAMM, but you can't really examine or hear anything there. I posted it too here and thera round that time and I got negative reactions only. I'm really asking myself why. Yes, we don't have any problems with excisting bridges, I even love the flimsy Fender bridges and I even have no problems with the ones with only two saddles.

But I still think this is interesting and I'm curious if it makes a difference. I'm always - and I stated that here before - curious why people slag certain bands, basses, parts, ... of without even tried or heard it.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 03:52:56 AM »

I'm always - and I stated that here before - curious why people slag certain bands, basses, parts, ... of without even tried or heard it.

Human nature, perhaps? I'm guilty. I hated the optagrab when I first saw it, but I must admit I never actually gave it a try :-\

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 03:57:12 AM »
Nobody is slagging anything or anybody here. Just questioning the added value to what's already on the market.
Like I said, it solves a non-existing problem.
And sometimes companies manage to conquer a market anyway with a product that nobody ever needed beforehand. (The iPad and iPhone come to mind)

I doubt if they'll find a substantial market for this bridge.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 04:01:58 AM »
And sometimes companies manage to conquer a market anyway with a product that nobody ever needed beforehand. (The iPad and iPhone come to mind)

Same with buttplugs. You have to wash it after use anyway, but it's just as easy to wash your thumb. So why do they manufacture them?