Author Topic: Ampeg B25B Speakers anyone know a source?  (Read 2166 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Ampeg B25B Speakers anyone know a source?
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:59:26 AM »
 As I posted in another thread I blew the speakers in my all original B 25 cab :( From what I remember they are CTS Magnavox 15's.  Can these be re-coned ? If not anyone have a source ? I searched ebay nothing came up. Thanks in advance. The cab is 16 ohm so I presume it's two 8 ohm in series.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Ampeg B25B Speakers anyone know a source?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:23:08 AM »
As I posted in another thread I blew the speakers in my all original B 25 cab :( From what I remember they are CTS Magnavox 15's.  Can these be re-coned ? If not anyone have a source ? I searched ebay nothing came up. Thanks in advance. The cab is 16 ohm so I presume it's two 8 ohm in series.

If it's in series its most likely you only blew 1 of them.

I like Eminence Delta 15A.  I replaced the unblown 15 in my B-15 extension cab with one, it sounds very similar but handles a lot more power.  IMO you can't beat 'em for $80 shipped from a lot of vendors and Ebay.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
Maybe it's an era thing (or previous owner mods), but I recall seeing a lot of Altecs in vintage Ampeg BXXs, but it may have varried by model or factory option.

... google is saying Eminence though (in which case, personally, I advise against trying to keep these original unless this is to be sold vs played, but that's a matter of taste).

Either way neither are hard to find, though the Altecs get really pricey.  Once you figure out what it is you need, and if you're hard up or in a rush and can't wait for something to come up on ebay, there's a local reconer/speaker seller dude who will have what you need, but wouldn't be worth the shipping otherwise.  Lemme know and I'll put you in touch.

Also, what GoT said.  If you don't have a multimeter, you can use a 9V battery to test if both speakers are toast (disconnect both, touch battery terminals across speaker terminals for only a brief moment; note if cone moves - yes = good no = bad.... do not hold the 9V batter to the speaker terminals for any length of time, cause if the speaker ain't blown....).  Ampeg also was known to use unothodox speakers (such as the 32Ohmers in the SVT cabs, which were custom OEMs by Eminence IIRC) so these aren't necessarily in series.  An ohm meter will tell you all you need to know.... also the code stamped on the speaker (if no label) will tell you the manufacturer (post it here).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:36:03 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:08:50 AM »
Kinda sorta on-topic - I used an old Ampeg 2x15 throughout the 80s. Never knew exactly what it was. It was narrower than a B25. Looking at a 1973 Ampeg catalog that I have, I thought it might have been a V-6B. Well, the exact cab came up on eBay, and it turns out it's something called a BT-140. The stock speakers are JBL D140. After I blew one for the 3rd time, I started the transition to EVM 15L. Twenty years later, and that speaker is still going strong in its fifth cabinet.  ;D The eBay guy is local. If it doesn't sell at his proposed opening bid of $289.99, I think I'm going to see if I can throw him $200 to come take it off his hands.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:12:36 AM »
Ampeg also was known to use unothodox speakers (such as the 32Ohmers in the SVT cabs, which were custom OEMs by Eminence IIRC)

Those areCTS, Eminence started making copies recently.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 11:47:42 AM »
  I use the Eminence Delta 15As in most of my cabs :) your right Carlo for 80 bucks you can't go wrong!
If it's in series its most likely you only blew 1 of them.

I like Eminence Delta 15A.  I replaced the unblown 15 in my B-15 extension cab with one, it sounds very similar but handles a lot more power.  IMO you can't beat 'em for $80 shipped from a lot of vendors and Ebay.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
I'd go with the Eminence as well. For the price you can't go wrong, and tonally I find them pretty close to the CTS speakers in my vintage Ampegs.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
  I just feel sort of bad for taking these speakers out. I paid 49 bucks for the cab thinking the drivers were blown it sat in the pile for two years before I tried it out only to find they were fine. I took them out using a distortion pedal...........................I should have know better.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
The Eminence Legend is a more old school voiced option over the Delta.  I have one in a single 15" sealed repro B-15E cab made by Fliptops.net and coupled with my custom O'Neill 100w B-15N-based head it nails the B-15 vibe.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »
if you want to think about reconing there is a guy in danbury that is really good.  Dusty speakers on ebay auction.  he rebuilt a few of my old ev's and jbl's...     you should talk to him about what he can do with the cts speaks.  maybe beef up the voice coils.  he took one of my old ev's from 200 to 400 spec.  if you want i will track down his contact info.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 07:34:29 AM »
Also, in Indiana there'sWeber VST. Quite a few years ago I had them recone the speakers in my Vox AC-50 cabinet, I think they were Fanes, excellent results.

http://www.tedweber.com/recone/

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 01:54:55 AM »
Also, in Indiana there'sWeber VST. Quite a few years ago I had them recone the speakers in my Vox AC-50 cabinet, I think they were Fanes, excellent results.

http://www.tedweber.com/recone/

Hey, I had a AC50 2x12 cab with fane speakers in last year. Couldn´t find a recone kit for them but i still kept the blown speakers. I´ll check the link...