Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

PSA - 60s Vintera Jazz Bass

<< < (2/2)

Dave W:

--- Quote from: Alanko on December 05, 2023, 08:36:53 AM ---It's a weasel-ish way of saying the fret count, fret size and fretboard radius are all period correct... maybe not the wood type.

Fender have brought back rosewood for the Vintera range so I imagine more Pau Ferro Vintera stuff will be on blow-out deals soon enough.

--- End quote ---

That must be what's behind this. The $840 street price you see on a lot of sites is already a 30% reduction from the former street price of $1199. Adorama must have too many of the Firemist Gold in stock. It must be authorized by Fender.

--- Quote from: slinkp on December 05, 2023, 11:15:26 AM ---Is there actually any significant difference between rosewood and pau ferro aside from the latter being usually a lighter color, and bragging rights?

I've always been in the "tonewoods are overblown" camp though :popcorn:

--- End quote ---

I don't know one way or the other about any tonal difference. Pau ferro is a bit stiffer than Indian rosewood. What I find funny is that pau ferro was considered a premium wood that higher end builders used -- until the rosewood shortage. As soon as Fender brought in a bunch of unusually light colored pau ferro and started using it on their non-USA lines, it suddenly was considered inferior.

gearHed289:
I really like the look of pau ferro. I've got it on my Player series P. It's gotten very slightly darker after a year of playing.

Dave W:
If I were in the market, I'd buy a bass with a pau ferro board without hesitation, no matter how many purists it offends. It's a fine fretboard wood.

doombass:
My Gibson SG-Z bass has a Pau Ferro fretboard. It's smoother but not that much lighter in color compared to most Rosewood.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version