Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

PSA - 60s Vintera Jazz Bass

(1/2) > >>

Dave W:
Firemist Gold on sale for $599 at Adorama. Regular street price is $840.

ilan:
Nice looking bass. They have every spec listed there, other than the fretboard. "Period-Accurate Fingerboard", that's their new name for pau ferro?

Alanko:
It's a weasel-ish way of saying the fret count, fret size and fretboard radius are all period correct... maybe not the wood type.

Fender have brought back rosewood for the Vintera range so I imagine more Pau Ferro Vintera stuff will be on blow-out deals soon enough.

slinkp:
Is there actually any significant difference between rosewood and pau ferro aside from the latter being usually a lighter color, and bragging rights?

I've always been in the "tonewoods are overblown" camp though :popcorn:

Alanko:
Pau Ferro is harder than rosewood, in my experience, and can be finished to a smoother playing surface. With Danish oil or similar you can get some nice 3D effect in the figuring. It can't easily be stained darker (it gets redder, if anything) and can't be ebonized with ferric acetate.

I like the feel of it, but it doesn't look right on vintage Fender designs. Especially next to mint pickguards, parchment plastics etc; the instruments end up looking sickly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version