Author Topic: Recent Appearance by George Kooymans  (Read 1302 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Recent Appearance by George Kooymans
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2023, 05:31:02 AM »
Cleveland.

The only thing I can think of is this:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2023, 05:58:43 AM »
That's actually a true incident based on a Judas Priest experience - Halford thought it hilarious when he saw that they put it in the movie.

Rob, the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland is as legendary as the Paradiso in Amsterdam!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2023, 07:15:30 AM »
Haha, I bet Judas Priest weren't the only ones who got lost backstage.
Actually the entire movie is filled with real-life bloopers.
Which is what makes it so brilliantly hilarious.

Another funny movie about a band, that is painfully close to reality is Still Crazy.
I remember when I visited Brian Robertson in London back in 2000, he insisted this movie (Still Crazy) was modelled after him and a few rockstar friends.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't.
But it is a very nice movie nonetheless. Bill Nighy is brilliant.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2023, 03:33:42 PM »
I can see how they could be a form of torture under repetitive circumstances, but... I actually quite like the unnamed band.
In moderate doses!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2023, 04:06:30 PM »
I like the Bon Scott era a lot!
The tongue in cheek lyrics and the irresistible pure rock n roll never fail to put a smile on my face.
If I had a rough day at work, or if I’m not in a good mood, all I have to do is put on one of their classic tunes. And it cheers me up. Within three minutes life is good again. It’s that simple.
I think they were brilliant.

And yes, the formula got stale after Back In Black.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2023, 12:19:05 AM »
I always found them too rigid and heavy-handed for my liking. There is no elegance or animal grace in what they do (two things Thin Lizzy on a good night would have in loads to make Rob feel good for once  ;) ). I don't always mind a band being musically mono-themed - after all I love Status Quo and The Ramones, but both these band offer a certain jauntiness in their music. I don't hear that with the Australians.

But yes, Bon Scott had leering front man charm, bit like Alex Harvey. The guy with the cap is just a singer in comparison.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2023, 12:52:52 AM »
Really? Rigid and heavy handed?
I don't think so at all. :mrgreen:
The way Phil Rudd rides the hi-hat, always gives them a certain swing. (Chris Slade nor Simon Wright could make them swing like Rudd did)
And the rhythm parts of Malcolm always leave room to breathe and make way for his younger brother's histrionics.

Statius Quo just sound boring and boorish in comparison. Just look at those soporific aquoustic performances you posted!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2023, 02:13:26 AM »
Several weeks ago, I discovered that Golden Earring's first live album had been released in a remastered and expanded version.  So I ordered that.  After what seemed forever, it finally arrived today.  Most of this is from a Zwolle concert in 1977.  However, the Eight Miles High remastered and expanded album will also be available in March.  I don't know any details about it.  The Zwolle concert is on two CDs, though.  Also, a DVD comes with it which features four songs from a performance in Belgium.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2023, 02:21:35 AM »
I can't explain it better than that Down Down sounds to me smoother and less angular than Let There Be Rock ...

It's how I hear music, Highway Star sounds to me sleek and elegant, Immigrant Song heavy-handed.

It's where our music tastes differ, Rob, I always gravitate towards a certain fluidity in music (which I think you find a little banal) and you appreciate rhythmic accentuation which to me sometimes sounds jagged. That is actually a word I was looking for: AC/DC (there, I said it!) sounds jagged to me, so does much of Led Zeppelin, always has. Your music taste has a stronger black component than mine, it's where your love for Mothers Finest stems from and it showed up in your (very good) playing in Superfloor too.

You once said that Jim Lea's bass playing in How Does It Feel does nothing for you, neither his (Dave Hill mimes his parts below, Jim is at the piano) melodic parts at the beginning, nor his walking bass in the middle parts - yet I adore what he does, it has a melodic flow to me. I guess I'm only a cello player at heart and you're the real bassist!  :-*

Those melodic "lead bass" parts Jim has sprinkled so liberally over this song make me cream in my pants.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 04:16:23 AM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2023, 06:02:41 AM »
Yeah, we obviously hear/experience music differently.
Quo to me always feel like plodding simplicity.
While AC/DC propels an irresistible energy forward.

When I listen to Quo maybe my head bobs.
When I listen to AC/DC my whole body wants to move.

I know there's quite a fanbase here on the Outpost for Slade.
For me they just won't work. I tried several times, but it just doesn't.
Same goes for your beloved Judas Priest. Doesn't work for me either. Never has. Even when I was really into heavy metal as a teenager.

Oh well, to each his own  ;)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 06:10:37 AM by Basvarken »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2023, 07:24:57 AM »
Early Priest had a purplish groove coupled with sabbathian riffs - that attracted me from day one. When they first came to Germany as opening act for AC/DC in 1979, one rock scribe quipped: "Purple's metronomic rhythm section resurrected!" He wasn't far off. They were mocked as "Deep Purple in Rock Leather - minus Jon Lord!".

You really picked the three AC/DC tracks that annoy me the most there!  :mrgreen:

I do like TNT (it's pleasantly dumb), Whole Lotta Rosie (it's pleasantly nasty), Highway to Hell (it's joyous), Hell's Bells (it's dark and moody) and Thunderstruck (it's friggin' hilarious) though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 07:37:56 AM by uwe »