Author Topic: VTVT  (Read 3474 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
VTVT
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »
Thanks to the advice from several of you here I am in the process of deactivating several of my Fenders. One of them being an American Jazz deluxe. Since there are 4 holes on the control panel I am thinking why not do a vol. & tone for the neck pup and a vol. & tone for the bridge?..I know several of you here are tech savvy on the pickups and electrical issues. Normally on the Jazz Bass and P/J basses (in passive) the tone control is for both pickups.. Is there any problem with having a tone control seperate for each pup? It still keeps thing pretty simple which is what I like.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: VTVT
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:07:25 PM »
No problem at all! And I agree - nice to have the holes filled.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »
No problem at all! And I agree - nice to have the holes filled.

Mark will agree on that....   ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:18:03 AM »
Two volume, two tone with no toggle? It can be done, but off the top of my head, I don't think you'll have the full independent controls you're looking for. Keep in mind that both signals will be going to the jack which has no way to keep the signals separate. You may find pots from one pickup affecting the other pickup unless one pickup is turned completely off.

I could be wrong. My coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
Yes, thanks. That was an issue I was wondering about, because I thought there might be a method to Leo's madness when it came to that one tone setup. However I defer to the first Jazz bass that had the stacked knobs which did in essence have the v/t v/t setup.....

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 11:38:07 AM »
Dave is on target.  There will likely be some cross-over effect , but my guess is that it wouldn't be enough effect to cause problems.

After all, the goal is to sound good - and that effect shouldn't get in the way.

Jazz basses with conventional wiring have an circuit in which running both volume controls at 100% causes some volume cancellation.  But back up one volume pot or the other about 10% and the effect goes away. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

i have a P body with a P/J configuration in which I installed stacked-knobs with separate vol and tone controls.  Each knob base is tone, tip is volume.  This never has caused any audible problems, although the P and J pickups have their electronic differences.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 01:37:48 PM »
Original stack pot Jazzes have 250K resistor on each stack that eliminates cross talk, each pup operates independently of the other.  Works great!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 06:41:52 AM »
It was JAE's favorite tone control.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 11:42:33 AM »
I guess Fender forgot about the resistor later...