Author Topic: Two new Fenders. A Mustang and a Bass VI!!!  (Read 11895 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Two new Fenders. A Mustang and a Bass VI!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 09:06:58 AM »
You got the Squier?

Yup.  Had a chance to grab the Squier version with humbucker - the bass is supposed to be like-new, and I picked it up for under $200. To me that's worth a try.  If I don't like it, I can turn it and break even.

My experience with the Squier line is that I find them equivalent to the MIM J-bass I have; very playable, nice sounding, solid value.  
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »
They're not badly done or anything like that, and I'm no purist when it comes to Mustangs. I just think the concept of the series is ridiculous.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 10:32:01 AM »
They're not badly done or anything like that, and I'm no purist when it comes to Mustangs. I just think the concept of the series is ridiculous.

It does seem odd to me that Fender is making two series - one "Fender", one "Squier" and presenting nearly identical products at two very different price points.

Maybe that's why GM makes Chevrolet and Cadillac.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 01:41:56 PM »
... and BMW makes Mini's and Roller's... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 03:58:19 PM »
I just think the concept of the series is ridiculous.

Which series?  The Squier VM series??

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
Which series?  The Squier VM series??

No, the Pawnshop series. The idea of a series based on real or imaginary modifications people have done that would have reduced the value of their guitars so much that you might find them in a pawn shop.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »
No, the Pawnshop series. The idea of a series based on real or imaginary modifications people have done that would have reduced the value of their guitars so much that you might find them in a pawn shop.

I agree with Dave about the Pawnshop Series.  Really dumb-headed if you ask me.  Why not just come out with more authentic repros and not have them done in the Custom Shop for scads of dollars?  If they made an accurate Bass VI in Japan and asked $1200 or less street price, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.  Same with a competition stripped Mustang.  The Pawn Shop thing is just plain dopey.  I wonder what the Fender nerds in the FDP think of these anomalies?

Anyway, I did put my order in for the Bass VI.  Aside from the bridge pickup, it's pretty close to the original.  Enough for me at this price point!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 05:58:43 PM »
Sounds intriguing, Bill.  Let us know what it's like when it comes in.

I agree about the Pawn Shop series to me it's one of those "what were they THINKING?" ideas.

By the reports I've read those are good instruments, so my question is why they didn't just build them right and keep the finishes nice...?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »
Will do Al.  Let us know how you like the Squire Stang.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 01:27:04 PM »
Got a call today.  My Bass VI, CAR finish, will be in soon!  Wow, it seems only the sunbursts will be a couple months.  CAR and black are ready for shipment.  I was thinking a sunburst, but I'll take a CAR if I can get it in a week or so.   CAR is my weakness!  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »
Got a call today.  My Bass VI, CAR finish, will be in soon!  Wow, it seems only the sunbursts will be a couple months.  CAR and black are ready for shipment.  I was thinking a sunburst, but I'll take a CAR if I can get it in a week or so.   CAR is my weakness!  ;D

Gee, try not to suffer too much settling for CAR.  :sad:  Buck up!!   ;) ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »
Gee, try not to suffer too much settling for CAR.  :sad:  Buck up!!   ;) ;D

I know, it's such a cross to bear!!!  But I have big shoulders!  8)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 04:15:41 AM »

Fender seems to have quite the hard-on for making nice new instruments and then ruining their finish. I'd rather they save cost the labor on 'relic-ing' and charge less. I've NEVER met a single musician who wanted a new bass that looked old, so I'm halfway convinced these are being marketed as wall decorations and first-instruments for aging Gen-Xer's with disposable income. Let the guitar players worry about being fashionable; just give me an instrument that sounds good and plays well.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 05:51:33 AM »
exactly

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 07:19:52 AM »
I agree with all of the above, however, in this instance (and this one only), I am craving a Fender-made Bass VI.  So, this one will suffice for now.  I also noticed that the Bass VI does not appear to be a reliced instrument.  No mention of that on the Fender web site.  Overall, this looks like a decent execution of the idea without going overboard with the Pawnshop treatment.

We'll see after I get my paws on it!  I'm also looking forward to the Mustang version as well.  I've often thought about doing the same thing myself to Mustang.  Should be interesting!