Author Topic: new Bass VI reissue in the US?!!  (Read 7244 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: new Bass VI reissue in the US?!!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
The worst part is the bridge. In order to intonate the low E properly, you have to have the saddle all the way back, but then the screw tilts up and interferes with the string movement!

Hey, could you give me a measurement?  What's the length from the front of the nut to the center of the saddle on the E-string?  It would help me with bridge placement on my future clone.

Thanks!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »
Hey, could you give me a measurement?  What's the length from the front of the nut to the center of the saddle on the E-string?  It would help me with bridge placement on my future clone.

Thanks!
I will try in the next couple of days!

I found out the one at Music Zoo was a special run.  A batch of sunbursts are due next year.  Not a bad price, but I have a project on hold to build a Bass VI clone anyway.  So, what the heck!
Thanks for that info! Wonder if it is just one of the Japanese-release ones or if there is something different? Maybe Fender is testing the waters to see if there is a market for these? If the Music Zoo one just sits there then I guess maybe there isn't. If I had the cash I would jump on it - I think it looks great!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »
but the MIJ ones back 15 years ago were fairly affordable at the time
Define "affordable"... I sold mine for $1,900 on eBay.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »
FYI, found out via a thread on another forum that MusicZoo might be getting another batch of the white and also red MIJ Bass VIs in 2-3 weeks.

Also, I noticed that there is currently a sunburst one at Ishibashi for just north of US$1000.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/select.php?cd=08-325895102

Low End Theorist

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 10:00:26 AM »
Ah! I really want to get a white bass VI from Japan but I'm a little clueless on how I should go about this.
The shop that was mentioned ishibashi doesn't seem to have any Bass VIs at all on their site.
Also, the music zoo says it won't be until May or June before they get anything from Japan.
Any suggestions or experienced ways of getting one?
I appreciate the help!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »
Well, I am very happy with my funky Pawn Shop model.  It's really close to the MIJ ones as far as I can tell.  Since I wasn't 100% convinced I really wanted a Bass VI, it was nice to get a good facsimile from Fender.  The main diference is the 5-way switch and the odd bridge pickup.  For $800 or less, it's a great entry level Bass VI.  I agree the white ones are very cool, I like them even better that the burst ones.  I have to say that the CAR finish on mine is growing on me!

Low End Theorist

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 04:54:54 PM »
Yeah that CAR finish is really something!  I bought a Japanese RI in the 90s and had it for over 10 years but had to sell it when I moved from the west coast to the east coast.
I loved it and I hear that the current Fender Japan versions are a better instrument build-wise than those previous reissues.  I'm gonna try to swing one of them but may try a Pawn Shop one if I can try one out in the DC area.  I've always wanted a white one though... damn!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
Amen, I'd love a white one too!  I checked with Music Zoo just for grins and they are gone.

kenstee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 04:26:05 PM »
You know if you are really GASING for a VI you really owe it to yourself to at least check out the newest Schecter Hellcat VI. This revised model has 3 genuine Seymour Duncan SJAG-1s pups instead of the Duncan-Designed mini-hums on the initial version (they were pretty poor imo.) Fit and Finish as well as the choice of components is top-notch. Separate On/Off switches for each pup. And the sound is fantastic! Importantly, this 30" scale Schecter comes set-up for .095>.025 strings. And the great news is specially manufactured LaBella strings are available for $6.95 (stainless or nickle rounds) and $13.70 for stainless flats - and they are excellent and readily available! http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=hellcat+VI+strings&x=8&y=10 No, these strings do not fit the Pawn Shop VI. One major difference vs. Fender is no tremolo BUT most people don't use them much if at all anyway. And the hardtail really holds a tuning and intonation much better. Unfortunately, the bottom line is we/you are paying a large premium for a Fender decal and headstock these days on many axes. Price? Typically the Schecter is $749 vs. $799 for the Pawn Shop VI (prices can be less if you follow specials and coupons of online retailers).

Schecter Hellcat VI site: http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Hellcat-VI.aspx#

Available in Burst (Rosewood fretboard) or Black (maple fretboard)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 06:24:47 AM »
Did someone say "Hellcat"...? ;D

(welcome)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 06:29:57 AM »
The Ultra VI is cool looking too!

Low End Theorist

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 06:58:50 AM »
You know I looked at those hellcats, but that schecter stuff really looks kinda heavy metal in its styling.  I don't know what it is but they're guitars have always given me that impression.
I'm sure they kick butt as a performance instrument but I wouldn't be able to get over the look of them.  I guess I'm just shallow that way.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 09:21:42 AM »
A lot of the Schecter guitars do have that metal look, but I don't think the Hellcat does.

Kenstee, are you the same guy who has the Hellcat group on Facebook?

kenstee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 01:01:33 AM »
A lot of the Schecter guitars do have that metal look, but I don't think the Hellcat does.

Kenstee, are you the same guy who has the Hellcat group on Facebook?

I am. But, also own some other non-Schecter VIs as well.......

As to a "metal look." Just don't see it myself on the HCVI.....YMMV.........

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »
There's a batch of Japanese NAMM-specials. A white jazz with matching headstock, a Jazz with PJ and a Bass VI. Bass VI is 1600 euros in Holland.