Author Topic: 71 Telecaster bass value?  (Read 11689 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: 71 Telecaster bass value?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »
I think the problem with the Gretsch is the sound is a bit softer due to the TI flats I have on it and it doesn't, to use an overused term, "cut through the mix" as well as the Tele with rounds or even the RIC 4003 with flats.  It would require a lot of knob fiddling on the amp to bump up the mids and highs.  I might try that, but right now, I'm pretty happy with the sound I'm getting from my 1992 Black TB and the Tele.  And.........I'm adjusting to the 34" scale and neck sizes as a trade off for really good tone and output.

We'll see how the new J bass does tonight.  Overall, any TB will do the trick, I just wanted to give the Fender boys a ride and see how they compare.

Cool.  I think Mr. Leo's creation will work very darn well for you tonight.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2012, 06:57:51 PM »
Cool.  I think Mr. Leo's creation will work very darn well for you tonight.

It did Al.  Took me back to my youth and my old 63 j bass.  Just as good as I remember.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 09:26:26 AM »
Ordered a set of TI rounds for the Tele.  I can't wait to get them on.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
Looks great (I like the black pickguard too) and glad to hear that it sounds great too! I've been getting back into long scales too...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2012, 01:59:55 PM »
Looks great (I like the black pickguard too) and glad to hear that it sounds great too! I've been getting back into long scales too...

You know, I've been playing long scales a lot more over the last 2 months.  It's not that much more difficult.   I've been wondering if I've just been lazy or if my fingers really are that short!!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:41:18 AM by drbassman »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
I put the TI rounds on and flattened the neck relief with the truss rod, took out a small shim in the bottom of the neck pocket that was angling the heel up too much, set everything up and she plays and sound great.  The TIs are a nice match with the single coil pup.  I do have to go back and move the neck as the pocket is a tad loose and the neck is just cooked enough the g-string is riding the edge of the fret board.  Love those tight Fender pockets!   :P

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 01:51:11 PM »
As long as you're making good contact with the bottom of the pocket, the screws are tight, and the neck's positioned right, you're okay.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
As long as you're making good contact with the bottom of the pocket, the screws are tight, and the neck's positioned right, you're okay.

A tight screw is a good thing. Having your neck in the right position is always a good thing. But when you're making contact with the bottom of your pocket because there ain't nothin' in there.....well that just gives you the blues, don't it ???
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
A tight screw is a good thing. Having your neck in the right position is always a good thing. But when you're making contact with the bottom of your pocket because there ain't nothin' in there.....well that just gives you the blues, don't it ???
Rick

Yep!  To you and Dave.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2012, 07:39:05 AM »
Rick

You've got about 2/3 of a blues song there.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »
great looking bass.  Funny i just listened to the first few J Beck albums the other day for the first time in many years with Ron Wood on the lead bass.  IIRC he used a SCPB which is essentially a tele bass with flats. 

never saw this one before just finding it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTxLxHUMId4&feature=related
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
The Truth Band !!!! That was one of the greatest shows ever ;D. Everybody but Beck was a nobody at that point :o.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 07:54:06 PM »
This looks worn enough to be an original SCPB, especially since the clip is from 1969 when the Tele bass was just out. In any case Kenny gets a good sound out of it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2012, 04:50:51 AM »
Cool pics and playing on a Tele bass, or original for that matter!  I got my neck straightened out yesterday, things are now aligned properly, including the pup poles.  Sounds great!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2012, 05:02:52 AM »
 I don't think I have ever seen Kenny play bass! Looks like he is using a thumb pick.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird