Author Topic: 71 Telecaster bass value?  (Read 11645 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: 71 Telecaster bass value?
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2012, 06:39:36 AM »
I don't think I have ever seen Kenny play bass! Looks like he is using a thumb pick.

Yeah, in the early years he played then moved to front man later on IIRC.  Some days I think I'd like to use a pick once in awhile, but I'm so rusty, it would take weeks to get comfortable with it.  Might try over the summer when I have some time off.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2012, 07:50:07 AM »
Kenny was playing bass professionally years before that around Houston, studio and live, upright and electric. He  played upright (and sang harmony) for several years in a jazz/pop group called the Bobby Doyle Three. They had a couple of local hits back when I was in junior high.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »
Kenny was playing bass professionally years before that around Houston, studio and live, upright and electric. He  played upright (and sang harmony) for several years in a jazz/pop group called the Bobby Doyle Three. They had a couple of local hits back when I was in junior high.

Cool!  The only local guy I ever saw when I was in HS who made it big was Rick Derringer of "The McCoys" fame.  I lived in Dayton, OH and they were from Richmond, Indiana, just across the border.  They played in Dayton often and we played in Richmond too.  It was a shock when they had a national record, especially with a novelty tune!  We even played in "Battles of the Bands" vs them and other groups back in the day.  Man, that was great fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »
  The pick is where it's at man so much you can do with it!
Yeah, in the early years he played then moved to front man later on IIRC.  Some days I think I'd like to use a pick once in awhile, but I'm so rusty, it would take weeks to get comfortable with it.  Might try over the summer when I have some time off.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »
Kenny from 1958, years before he hit it big, and about a year before forming the group with Doyle. This was a big hit in Houston and may have made the charts in a few other places.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2012, 04:44:13 AM »
Wow, that was OK I guess for the times.  He sure got better with experience!