Author Topic: New block marker P Bass  (Read 11917 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New block marker P Bass
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2012, 07:28:23 AM »
It's about time. There aren't nearly enough P-bass variations, we need more, more more!  :P

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2012, 07:49:06 AM »
And another one. Brand new. It's mexican.

http://www.rockpalace.com/product/Fender-FSR-Precision-Bass-Special-Sea-Foam-Metallic

I thought that one was a Guitar Center limited edition - there was a thread on TalkBass with people going nuts because they were advertised in a GC flyer but no one could find any - they finally started appearing a few weeks ago, I saw one in my local GC. The pickups are active.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2012, 09:05:10 AM »
They're limited edition in Europe too. But active electronics only. The pickups have polepieces so not active. P is an alnico and J a Noiseless.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »
They're limited edition in Europe too. But active electronics only. The pickups have polepieces so not active. P is an alnico and J a Noiseless.

You're right - I should have said "active electronics."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »
No problem! I thought you meant that, but to be sure... :)

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2013, 11:21:07 PM »
Finally recorded the AlFemBic!

http://soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven/aka-afb

Same song as this one and similar set-up: CAJ tube compressor with the addition of MXR Bass Octave Deluxe at one point (and distortion that I filtered out) into DI into ProTools, later put through Alembic F-2B preamp. Live I was using my GK MB 112 II but you can't hear it on the recording.

I had the filter frequency set quite low - hard to believe it's strung with relative new rounds!

The sound of the band is evolving too - love this guitarist and drummer!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »
Very smooth sounding, Harry... perfectly suited to the theme...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2013, 09:15:06 PM »
Took some photos of the bass with most recent mods (Alembic witch hat knobs and Q-switch):

Got the Q-switch because it sounded great with the filter way down low, but it was hard-wired at +8, so that when I turned the filter up to high frequencies the bottom dropped out. With the switch I can select 0/+6/+9. Here it is with the old setup, so boosting the super-high freqs with the filter (almost?) all the way open:

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 09:46:03 AM »
the alembic activator pups are outstanding.  i have them in about 5-6 basses and actually put a set in a warwick   and i may have the only warwick that sounds pretty good as they kind of offset the dull too dense wood sound of the bass. 

i have not put a q switch in any of them.  is it worth the insane prices Alembic charges for their stuff.  IIRC the pickup set is now 900 or more.  I bought my first set of activators from Manny's in NYC for 189 back around 1990.  that was expensive back then but not 6 times the price of normal replaxement pickups as they are now.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
Agreed - I could never afford a new set, would have to be filthy stinking rich to even consider it - which I might, though, because I do love the pickups. The Q-switch was only $12 or so, the pickup set was something like $250? Apparently it's a pretty old set, because they don't use these pots anymore, so maybe 20 years old or so, they've just been changing hands over the years. They're in amazing shape considering that!

One thing to keep in mind is that they aren't just pickups, the preamp/filter is integral to the idea - if you like the Alembic system then you understand their value. They're still expensive of course!  :mrgreen: 

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »
Took the pickguard off my AlFemBic the other day - needed to repair a stripped screwhole (when pulling the cord out of the jack the screw came up with it?!!), decided to replace the battery while I was at it:

the AlFemBic sans pickguard by Harry 3, on Flickr

I thought it was interesting that the routes for the P-pickups aren't fitted to the pickups. I did have it modified by SF Guitarworks - they routed it for the J pickup - but they did a really nice job of that, so I figure the P routes are original. I kind of like the white with the maple neck with black blocks. If it was a Jazz I could easily see leaving the pickguard off.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the pickguard back on! Something under the middle pot was in the way - no matter what I did, it wouldn't sit flush on the body. So I took it to my repair guy, he's going to route a hole in the back for access to the battery so I don't have to take the strings/pickguard off just to change the battery.

And while I'm at it, here are a couple of soundclips:

https://soundcloud.com/stanleylighthead/cinnamon-slice (sound quality isn't great but I like the performance)

https://soundcloud.com/stanleylighthead/spf50

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »
Looks good like that H but the controls have always been the issue when doing that on a P...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
Looks good like that H but the controls have always been the issue when doing that on a P...
Yeah, don't worry, the guard is staying on!  ;D  I just thought it looked interesting enough to take a photo!

I guess if one really wanted to go that route, then the Duff McKagen Signature, based on the Jazz Bass Special from the '80s, would be one way to go, with rear-mounted controls:

http://www.fender.com/series/artist/duff-mckagan-precision-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-pearl-white/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:31:32 PM by hieronymous »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2013, 08:56:08 AM »

John Wetton had just a small part of the pickguard left for the knobs and jack. I think the chick in the Go Gos had the same setup.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
Kathy Valentine... most of the pics I found showed her playing a Jag but someone who follows them may know more...

Certainly a rare mod...