Author Topic: Temptation rears its head  (Read 2017 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Temptation rears its head
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »
Never heard of the Fender Prophecy series before...but this is tempting.

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-4759.htm

The II was a bolt-on, this III series is a neck-through.  Made in Japan at a time when some very, very nice Fenders were coming from there.

Anyone have experience with these?  I note that it has been made passive with SD Basslines pickups.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Temptation rears its head
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:07:56 AM »
The Heartfield/Prophecy series were a too little too late attempt by Fender to get into the "modern" style guitars and basses. MIJ, good quality, outdated style by the time they got to the US market and never sold more than a few here.

In original condition with issues, their asking price would be reasonable. I wouldn't pay it for this one.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
I appreciate your comment.  I think it's a pretty cool looking bass, but now that I think about it, that bass probably wouldn't do anything that any other P/J wouldn't do.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »
It might not even do what a regular P/J would do!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »
Neck thru...  8)

Have Fender ever done this before/since...?

Very Washburn T14/Yamaha RBX170, etc...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 03:55:54 PM »
Without the resale value.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »
Neck thru...  8)

Have Fender ever done this before/since...?

Very Washburn T14/Yamaha RBX170, etc...

Very Ibanez, I'd say.

I'm not sure if they have, can't think of any offhand.  Keep in mind that this started as a new brand name, Heartfield, even though Fender was involved in the project with Fuji Gen Gakki all along. By the time they finally showed up in the US Fender catalog, they were Fender branded. You may see an earlier production Prophecy or a DR (the other Heartfield bass line) without the Fender name.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 11:23:34 AM »
I've thought about trying a six string at some point, and have eyeballed the Heartfield DR-6s.  Gotta admit that the styling leaves me a bit cold, but it might be a pretty good bass if the price is right.  The instruments I have (or have had) from that factory have all proven to be very nice players.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »
It's an Ibanez Musician wannabe with crappier electronics. Drop $100 off the price and you'll have its true value. Pretty as it looks, it was just a bad sounding active P/J. The passive pickup mod on this one may make it sound better, but not any better than any other cheap import P/J.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
It's an Ibanez Musician wannabe with crappier electronics. Drop $100 off the price and you'll have its true value. Pretty as it looks, it was just a bad sounding active P/J. The passive pickup mod on this one may make it sound better, but not any better than any other cheap import P/J.

Hadn't Ibanez already discontinued the Musician by then?

Also most solidbody Ibanez were made by Fuji Gen Gakki at that time and IIRC one of the Heartfield guitar lines was identical to an Ibanez line.

Makes you wonder how much was designed by Fuji Gen Gakki and suggested to Fender and Hoshino/Ibanez, instead of being those companies' own designs.