Author Topic: That Evil Woman ...  (Read 12495 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
That Evil Woman ...
« on: December 27, 2010, 08:46:03 AM »
... is drawing me to the Dark Side ...  ;)

Alas, Christmas was not without sin for me! The fact that three of Edith's initial presents were Fender bass books was a harbinger of things to come in hindsight, but they were nice enough books (eg by Tony Bacon et al) and I was not cautious enough. So after I'm done unwrapping she quips: "You really didn't think you'd only get a couple of books, did you?!" Says it, leaves and comes back dragging with her what looked suspiciously like a gift wrapped bass case which revealed a beautiful American Standard 2010 Jazz Bass in fashionable Candy Cola (bit like CAR but darker and deeper, not as garish, actually pretty much a Christmas red):

That isn't a pic of mine, but it gives an idea though the luster of the real thing is much more stunning. So here I stand, forever tarnished with my now 4th  :-[ Fender bass (the other three: MIJ Sting, MIM Vintage Jazz, MIA early eighties RI Vintage Series 62 Precision).

Seriously, the bass is beautiful with all those fine single coil nuances that I always liked about a Jazz Bass. The workmanship is flawless and I like - purists stop reading now -  the very gentle modernizing they did with the satin neck fin, the lightweight tuners and the High Mass Vintage bridge with neck-thru or toploader function (if only they had added the correct 7/64 hex key for the intonation adjustment screw among the abundance of case candy).

Case is fancy too:

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:48:06 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: That Evil Woman ...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »
Very Nice, Uwe! I like that colour! Congratulations with the bass ánd Edith! Lucky guy!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:42:47 AM »
You are a lucky guy!  Even if you make the pro forma complaint, I know that a quality instrument is always high on your list - and Fender does just fine in that category.  Enjoy!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »
Nice!

Next year, drop the hint for a Coronado Wildwood.  :vader:

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 02:34:54 PM »
Now that's a woman (and a bass) worth keeping around! Enjoy (both).  :mrgreen:

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 02:47:10 PM »
I hope you know how lucky you are...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 03:17:55 AM »
My mate Dave, recently imported a very similar bass. I too like the "better" bridge and tuners. Lovely instrument. Enjoy it Uwe, guilt free  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 05:00:18 AM »
4 strings, reasonably balanced, nice classic sound...

Does wot it sez on the tin...

Nice parcel to find (hidden) behind the tree...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 05:32:59 AM »
The single coil purity of a Jazz has always appealed to me. I can't really stand a Jaco "rear pup only" sound, but I do love the front pup solo (the depth of it and how it sounds a little hoarse) as well as the compression you get as you add the bridge pup to it.

Since Ken mentionend it: String to string response is immaculate. Forceful E and G and surprising high register sustain for a bolt-on. Did older Jazz Basses have a reputation of uneven string to string response?

I also like the ergonomics to it. In its utalitarian way, a P bass is ergonomic too, but the Jazz body has that feminine elegance to it. And that elegance is in the sound characteristics of the bass too. In comparison, my MIM Jazz sounds nastier andd rougher, a bit the Epi TBird versus Gibbie TBird effect, but not as pronounced. The MIM pups are quite a bit louder too which might account for their slight middishness.

I'm still baffled by the fact that the Jazz outsold the P bass. To me, except in the seventies when every fusion bassist and his aunt seemed to have one (Jaco!), the P Bass was always the more prevalent model over the Jazz.

My first bass was a sunburst Korean Ho Jazz Bass by famous brand "Johnny Guitar" (you can't even google that brand) and it featured two mini-humbuckers (one of which dropped out after about six months as did one of the tuners, the frets too were pretty much played down to fretless after a year of my teenage practice, I played all day back then). I guess I've come full circle!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 06:08:24 AM »
Welcome to the club Uwe! I myself am also a staunch Gibsonite but can lay claim to owning something like 5 Fenders now ??? My Jazz is a '08 American Standard and I have to agree with you that the fit and finish are exceptional. I bought it for our Zeppelin set, from the stage it looks for all the world like a '64, and cost me far less than a '62 or '64 reissue. After it's little mishap on stage it now sports a road worn neck. I put a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz in the neck position, I can almost get it to sound like a Gibson ;) One of my favorite things about the new Fenders are the case, beautiful piece of work !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »
Scott, can you actually confirm that the hex key for the intonation adjustment hex socket screw is 7/64 then?

Your Imperial system is driving me mad. I have close to a hundred bass bridge adjustment hex keys (inch and its sensible alternative), but whenever I feel I have them all, some new perverse size comes up. What inner demon drove you to create yet another size between 3/32 and 1/8?!!!!

PS: Your The Ocean version is nice, not as sloppy as the live Zep versions I know!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 05:21:41 PM »
 Uwe 1/16 fits mine.  Beautiful bass by the way, if only Gibson showered us with so many choices on two platforms like Fender does.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Nice bass Uwe I have a 2003 CAR American Jazz they're great basses.
Tony

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 06:22:32 AM »
Uwe 1/16 fits mine.  Beautiful bass by the way, if only Gibson showered us with so many choices on two platforms like Fender does.

We can't be talking about the same thing then, Scott. 1/16 is tiny  :o - that is probably the size of the allen screws elevating the saddles up and down. I'm talking about the much larger sized allen screw that intonates the saddle, i.e. moves it back and forth, towards or away from the bridge! A 1/16 would never give you the grip and force to move a saddle under string pressure back and forth, you'd gouge it in no time. A 1/8 hex is slightly too large on mine, a 3/32 slightly to small, so my guess is (possibly confirmed by one singular posting in one Fender bass forum I found) it's a 7/64. Unless someone of you is cruel enough to tell me that further sizes between 3/32 and 1/8 exist.  :-\ Knowing you guys' anarchistic penchant for disorder you probably have a further dozen intermediate sizes and Fender chose the rarest one.

Will you please now do your home work for me, subito!  :mrgreen:

If only we had won ze war, I wouldn't have to bother with stuff like this now.  :vader:

For illustration, in the set below the 1/16 hex is the second-tiniest one while the 7/64 is in the middle range (fifth from the right, fourth from the left) of the smaller ones:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:42:16 AM by uwe »

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 06:32:35 AM »
If only we had won ze war, I wouldn't have to bother with stuff like this now.  :vader:

We would've had Krupp Stahl bridges on all bass guitars, no doubt ...... ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:33:29 AM by Droombolus »
Experience is the ultimate teacher