Author Topic: Duck Dunn or no?  (Read 17211 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Duck Dunn or no?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 10:58:32 AM »
You liked playing it in the store and you intend to play it more than the Melody Maker bass. That's all the reason you need.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 11:26:05 AM »
You liked playing it in the store and you intend to play it more than the Melody Maker bass. That's all the reason you need.

I agree.  And if the GC pricing is anywhere near consistent (very dangerous assumption) you should be able to trade straight across or even get a few $ back.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 07:34:50 PM »
I got it!  :mrgreen: ;D 8)

The good news - it was on sale even lower than the posted price.

The bad news - that's what I got for the Melody Maker - we did a straight trade. So I basically got $700 for the MM - he said they would sell it for $1100. But all things considered, I think I made out ok! We don't call it an "evertilt" bridge for nothing!

Dug around some more - found one person claiming 400 produced, another that 150 were imported to the USA. I find the 150 a bit doubtful - mine is #153!

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »
Baz pointed out that this bass looks like Glenn Hughes's bass - at first I thought he meant the one he played with Purple, but I think he meant this one, which I believe is a Nash:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »
Congrats on the deal, I don't think there was any bad news. They need to turn a profit and I doubt you'd get their intended asking price if you put it on eBay. Win-win.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »
Go ye forth now and commit Duckness.  It is a noble thing!   ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement!

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 12:34:59 PM »
So I gave the bass a workout last night - put it through my CAJ tube compressor, Alembic F-2B preamp and Cafe Walter headphone pre. Played along with a bunch of different stuff, including some Dr. John and George Benson. The bass sounded great - nice string-to-string balance - the G string is nice and strong. Here's another shot I took at GC - it's going to be a bit before I can get new pics at home, the weather is too crappy:

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
That looks awesome- congrats!!  Love the CAR

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
A classic look there.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »
Very nice!  That store had 2 of them at the same time.  I almost bought one a few months back but they would not budge on the price.  Glad you got the other one.  I had one years ago when they first came out.  I sold it because I used my Noel Redding bass more.  One thing I wish they would have done with the Dunn (pun intended) was use the larger Kluson style reverse tuners.  They do have really nice necks. 

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »
Very nice!  That store had 2 of them at the same time.  I almost bought one a few months back but they would not budge on the price.  Glad you got the other one.  I had one years ago when they first came out.  I sold it because I used my Noel Redding bass more.  One thing I wish they would have done with the Dunn (pun intended) was use the larger Kluson style reverse tuners.  They do have really nice necks. 

Thanks! I noticed the smaller tuners - at least it's not noticeable from the front. The Classic '70s one has the bigger tuners, and that's what all my MIJs had back in the '80s.

Now if I found a Noel Redding bass I'd be in trouble because I would love to have one of those too!

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 06:08:01 AM »
Congrats Harry. How does it sound through the GK. Esp. The E string?  Also what is the characteristic of the Redding JaZz that sets it apart from other Jazz basses?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »
....  Also what is the characteristic of the Redding JaZz that sets it apart from other Jazz basses?

Noel endorsed it!  ;D

IIRC it was modeled on his 65 J.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
Congrats Harry. How does it sound through the GK. Esp. The E string?  Also what is the characteristic of the Redding JaZz that sets it apart from other Jazz basses?

I don't actually know anything about the Noel Redding sig - not sure why I'm so excited about signature basses these days, usually I'm not. I think that for me it's because both the Dunn & the Redding were very limited releases that I wasn't aware of when they came out, plus they are both Fender Japan. And, of course, they are both players that I like and was somewhat influenced by, though as I said above I was never really a "disciple" of "Duck" and I later turned more to Billy Cox instead of Noel. This link has the most info that I found in a brief search:

http://www.junkmaleclothing.com/products/noel-redding-fender-jazz

It's kind of funny because I don't think it's really a bass/guitar dealer, but it is a very detailed write-up!

I haven't played the Dunn through the GK yet - will let you know how it goes though it won't be for a little while.