Author Topic: Duck Dunn or no?  (Read 17210 times)

Big_Stu

• View Profile
Re: Duck Dunn or no?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »
Oh well if that's the case I'll use it as an excuse to say that I ordered my next set of tickets for Cropper's UK tour starting in January. I'm hoping to see 3 maybe 4 gigs this time.  :)

Nice catch with the book btw, I've heard it's very good!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »
edit: cos I hadn't noticed how old the thread was!!  :mrgreen:

Sorry about that - I should have pointed out that I was resurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one!  :-[

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »
Sorry about that - I should have pointed out that I was resurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one!  :-[

You did! I just didn't notice, my fault for jumping in without reading properly. Booker T stuff does that to me!  :mrgreen:

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 09:15:59 PM »
Out of print? It was on my Amazon wish list last Christmas. I did get it BTW.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 10:24:35 AM »
Out of print? It was on my Amazon wish list last Christmas. I did get it BTW.
Yes. Currently n/a at Amazon.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 04:09:56 PM »
Give eBay a shot. I've done VERY well on HTF books for cheap there.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
So here's my dilemma - I really like the Duck Dunn Sig that I found at GC, but can't afford it. It's perhaps a little pricey at US$795, though supposedly there were only about 200 made. The only thing I can think to trade for it is my '68 or so Gibson Melody Maker Bass. Used to be one of my favorite basses, but I haven't played it much in almost 5 years. GC has one in their used inventory somewhere for $3000 - mine has a couple of issues so I'm thinking I should/might be able to get at least the value of the Dunn Sig, though realistically I don't think the Melody Maker is worth anywhere near as much as GC is asking.

Any thoughts?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
I just checked the GC used site.  If it's the one in Concord there's been a significant price reduction.

Better hurry, somebody's going to buy it with that price drop. I'd figure out how to do it and then how to pay for it.  Credit card comes to mind.  If you're done with the MM it should cover that much or close.  I think GC is very 'optimistic' on their MM pricing.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
Considering GC's ridiculous asking price on the MM they have, maybe they'll do an even trade. If not, I would think the MM would bring at least $600 on eBay.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 08:34:52 PM »
I just checked the GC used site.  If it's the one in Concord there's been a significant price reduction.

Better hurry, somebody's going to buy it with that price drop. I'd figure out how to do it and then how to pay for it.  Credit card comes to mind.  If you're done with the MM it should cover that much or close.  I think GC is very 'optimistic' on their MM pricing.

Considering GC's ridiculous asking price on the MM they have, maybe they'll do an even trade. If not, I would think the MM would bring at least $600 on eBay.

Thanks! I was kind of expecting someone to say "What - are you crazy?" But then again, I didn't post this in the Gibson section. GC is definitely optimistic on the MM pricing - that's what I'm hoping for! Going to take it in tomorrow, wish me luck...  :mrgreen:

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 09:27:23 PM »
Thanks! I was kind of expecting someone to say "What - are you crazy?" But then again, I didn't post this in the Gibson section.

What we didn't tell ya is that you're expected to route a mudbucker into the neck position of that Dunn as soon as you get it  :P  ;D

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 11:36:20 PM »
What we didn't tell ya is that you're expected to route a mudbucker into the neck position of that Dunn as soon as you get it  :P  ;D

Don't tempt me!  8)

Also, not sure where I got the 200 number from - found another quote for 1000 made. Looks like they were only made in '98. If I end up getting it, it will go nicely with my '96 Bass VI reissue...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 05:42:50 AM »
Hope you get the bass!

These are the Dunn tributes I built for myself.  Full 1 3/4" wide USA Fender neck on the nitro blonde Warmoth 4 lb swamp ash body.  Allparts MIJ neck with Fender MIJ body on the CAR.  USA Duncan Antiquity pups.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
Nice - I like those!

As much as I appreciate Donald "Duck" Dunn, I never really dove deeply into his playing or gear, probably because I became more aware of him later in my playing career. So I keep finding references to the various basses that he played and his signature models but don't have a very strong image of him playing them. Makes me question a little bit my motivation to pick up this signature model - I think it's partly my affection for Fender Japan basses, as well as the relative rarity - they don't seem to come up very often. And of course the fact that I enjoyed playing it in the store the last time. Hope to spend a little more time with it today while GC contact their "vintage department."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
I have a CIJ '51 RI Precision and MIJ '62 RI Jazz, they're both excellent instruments.