Author Topic: Duck Dunn or no?  (Read 17209 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Duck Dunn or no?
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »
My drummer just picked up a Jap Fender Precision.  I'm not sure what he paid for it, but I'm guessing less than $100.  It's a two-piece body, with some nice grain, and done in a sort of goldburst.  Neck is maple all around.  Gold anodized pickguard.  It's Japanese, and has serial number P034856.  I know that puts it about '93-'94.  My question is - could this be a Duck Dunn signature?  How would I know?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Duck Dunn or no?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:13:56 PM »
I don't know either, but I do know Booker T. & the MGs play in Holland for the first time in 30 years and I've got tickets! ;D

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
Does it have Duck Dunn's signature in a decal on it?  If not, it is not.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 05:42:35 PM »
I don't think the Duck Dunn was around that early anyway.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:16:13 PM »
No signature on the decal, so it's not the Duck Dunn model.   Thanks for the info.  To top it off, either the pickup is shot, or there's a wire pulled off somewhere.   It's a dead Fender.  It's in decent shape, otherwise.  What would it be worth, in working order?

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 08:47:33 PM »
The Dunns' were released in '98 and I can only remember them being Candy apple red. Still should be a pretty nice bass DD or not!

S.

There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

JTE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:15:30 AM »
As I remember the short-lived Fender Duck Dunn Signature was MIJ, one-peice maple neck, only came in CAR, and had the anodized guard.  I do recall an interview with Duck (probably in Bassics Mag.) around that time where he nicely voiced some dissapointment with FMIC for resisting what he really wanted, but I don't recall the details.   Shortly after that his friend Bob Glaub introduced him to Laklands.  I saw Duck with CSNY in 2000, and he had two Lakland Bob Glaubs (a gold one he played all night and a red one in the rack) as well as his famous P bass (the 'burst maple neck with the anodized guard the little sticker of a duck on it) in the rack too.  He only played the gold one, even though his tech took all three out of the rack during the intermission and retuned them all.

jte
Without space, music is just noise piling up on itself

mart3442

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 08:14:59 AM »
Hi guys, I'm a part time defector from TDPRI's Bassplace.
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I remember a short lived Duck Dunn signature bass in the late 80's/early 90's that was based on a sunburst 57 P with anodised guard.
I have an interview with Duck in a British Bass magazine from the mid 90's were his comments about the CAR P Bass with the block inlay Jazz Neck (The basis for the current Lakland Duck Dunn sig) go as follows:

"I hated that Bass, I only used it for a short time, but its the photo that gets used the most so everyone thinks it was my favourite."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 02:20:45 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  As it turns out, the jack was grounding out.  I guess the bass is pretty nice.  My drummer got a nice deal.  He's turning it around.  He got our guitarist a nearly new Fender DeVille amp for $50.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 02:53:39 AM »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 10:01:49 AM »
A bit of topic bit in eight days I see Booker T. & the MGs live in Holland! I'm looking forward to it! the 19th of march they'll do a show at The Melkweg, Amsterdam.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »
http://vguitar.com/features/artists/details.asp?AID=2272

I found a CIJ Duck Dunn signature at a local GC - looking for info I found this old thread, and found that the link Chris posted doesn't work, but I think this is the same article: http://www.vintageguitar.com/3021/donald-duck-dunn/ - he doesn't say anything negative about the bass:

Q: Touch on the Duck Dunn signature model Fender Precision Bass.
A: That was around 1998; it was a Japanese-made limited edition. It was Candy Apple Red with a maple neck. I have the first two made.

There's also a (catalog?) picture of him with it (with the following credit: "Dunn displaying his Fender signature model in a 1998 photo. Photo: Rich Morava, courtesy of Donald "Duck" Dunn."):

They want $800 for the bass. I played, it liked it - it had Chromes on it which seemed to suit it. One of halves of the pickup still had the protective covering on it! These are from around '98 so unless the pup was replaced it's been on there almost 15 years! The neck was fairly chunky, but that didn't bother me. If I had any money to spare I'd be tempted! One of the greatest compliments I've ever been paid was being called "Donald 'Duck' Dunn" by the leader of a band I was playing with...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 06:54:21 AM »
i think it's 1/2 mgs about now?
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 07:41:27 AM »
edit: cos I hadn't noticed how old the thread was!!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:49:38 AM by Big_Stu »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 08:38:07 AM »
That's OK, I'll use it to say that I'm getting a copy of "What Duck Done" (2nd ed. with CD, tab and music) for Christmas!  Out of print but a gent is selling them on Ebay.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."