Author Topic: Missed this one on eBay  (Read 2379 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Missed this one on eBay
« on: November 21, 2009, 09:37:17 AM »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Missed this one on eBay
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:44:20 AM »
I saw in the paper that two of Galileo's fingers and a tooth (?) were found after being held by a family for a couple hundred years.

What IS IT with people who decide it would be a nice idea to carve body parts off dead people and hang onto them as keepsakes????
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 05:30:26 AM »
My dad was in the town where Mussolini was strung up on display in the town square in WWll. He said it was comical to see all the men shooting his body with their  pistolas like they executed him. He sure was hated.
I bet the brain fit in a shot glass :mrgreen:.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:48:38 AM »
It was quite normal to eastern cultures to send home "remains" before they went into battle; most commonly this would be nail clippings and/or hair. Post death it was common practice to take a finger from a fallen comrade; Japanese troops, post defeat (which usually meant "post-motrem", they rarely surrendered), could often be found with human remains to take home...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »
Provides a whole new context for giving someone the finger!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »
There is a custom here in Greece to steal small (or big!) thingies from cemeteries that supposed to bring you good luck. Some people are kinda morbid I guess.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »
Al, you are one sick individual...  ;D
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 06:43:17 PM »
Al, you are one sick individual...  ;D

As my daughter says, "We do what we can."  8)

And never forget the immortal words of writer Robert Bloch, who said:

“I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf.”

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:41:20 AM »
Il Duce!

When I was in Sicily some weeks ago the amount of Mussolini kitsch unabashedly on sale with souvenir and street vendors surprised me. I guess it goes to tell that Italians are more at ease about him as a historical and - today completely irrelevant as far as his fascist legacy goes -figure than Germans will ever be about Hitler whose nasty shaming shadow still sometimes looms large.

On the Richter scale of evil, I cannot see Mussolini anywhere near Hitler.  He wasn't a warmonger like him (in fact, Mussolini was very concerned about Hitler's military recklessness and Italy always preferred to choose war opponents it perceived as weak either because they were Third World or already in their death throes from a German invasion, never mind that even these weakened foes would regularly teach the Italian Army a few lessons!  ;)) and while Fascist Italy had its share of crimes against humanity it did not join in that relentless will for genocide Nazi Germany so openly flaunted and lived.

Early Hitler patterned himself after Mussolini (who was already a dictator with a ten year reign when Hitler came to power in 1933) and admired Italian Fascism, but by the advent of WW II (which Mussolini tried to avoid, lucidly fearing that little good would come out of it for Italy) Mussolini saw himself sidelined and a bystander to Germany's war strategy. As the war progressed, Italy became bullied by Germany more and more, it was fitting that the once proud Mussolini would end as the beaten head of a North Italian Nazi puppet regime after Hitler had him liberated by the SS in one last act of solidarity or even friendship between the two.

People tend to forget that unlike Germany which surrendered unconditionally with all Nazi party organisations being forbidden by the Allies shortly after, in Italy it was actually the Fascist Council that had Mussolini removed from power as the Allies were advancing in 1943 to then hold and successfully conclude peace talks with them. Left with the choice of saving their country or the dictator, the Italians, even the Fascists, did the sensible, pragmatic and patriotic thing and discarded Mussolini. It's one thing that Germany was never able to do (shake off the dictator when it was time) even though it was well clear to the majority of the German population that the war was lost by 1943 at the latest. The Italians still have my historic envy for that (and for the indignated and formal refusal of the Italian Army to raid Jewish homes in Greece and take arrests when asked for such help by the German co-occupators). The Allies returned the favor: The Italian fascist party was never officially forbidden (and its successor party is today a member of Berlusconi's conservative coalition though it is fair to say that they have shed most of their historic baggage).

I guess that is part of the reason why it is still possible in Italy to remember Mussolini for the introduction of free schooling to children and the eradication of malaria (he let the swamps be dried out) and not just for the vile parts of his regime.

I don't think he had much of a brain though. More led by instinct throughout his career, with his political decisions being more and more forced on him by the circumstances once the moustached Sorcerer's Apprentice had learned his tricks in Germany. His politically active granddaughter, btw, is a nut case/fake blond bimbo airhead.

Uwe  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:02:38 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:50:06 AM »

His politically active granddaughter, btw, is a nut case/fake blond bimbo airhead.

Then maybe this was her brain.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 11:26:07 AM »
A wonderfully insightful historical synopsis, but... do I detect a hint of political incorrectness in that final sentence, Herr Hornung...?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »
She's a bimbo alright:

Say hi to granddaddy, the way he preferred to be greeted!

Hard to say which pic is more embarrassing, right?

Bad cosmetic surgery too:

Living proof how lack of brains need not hamper an extremist career. But then Italians tend to be forgiving with women that look the part. That said, their political instincts are sound: When Alessandra ran for mayoress of Rome in 2006 she received less than 1% of the vote.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:10:01 PM by uwe »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 11:58:30 AM »
So, I guessa we can counta you outa for donations... si...?

We coulda always makea an offer that you cannota refusea...  :vader:

Who was that other notorious "lady" in Italian politics...?

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
Always a pleasure to read your comments, folks! I get many good laughs in this forum!javascript:void(0);
That surgery for Ms Mussoline is really a bit over the top. javascript:void(0);

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 12:00:44 PM »
Ilona Staller:

She was the left-wing bimbo. Italians always balance things out.