Author Topic: Need a lamp?  (Read 2616 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Need a lamp?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 10:25:48 PM »
Dave, are you a fan of Shep's work? I grew up on his radio show and books.

I knew who he was, but I never read any anything by him until after seeing his PBS nonfiction series called Jean Shepherd's America about 1970-71 (there was a second series in the mid 80s).

I loved Phantom of the Open Hearth (which was mid-70s) plus two later PBS comedies based on his stories, The Star-Crossed Romance of Josephine Cosnowski (sp?) and The Great American Fourth of July. Some great scenes in those but Phantom was my favorite.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 01:52:15 AM »
Man, I don't know if flabbergasped is the right word, but if it is, then that's what I am after watching those scenes. Never heard of Jean Shepherd before, but this seems most interesting. It's stuff like this that's always made America mythical here in Scandinavia! Watching those clips makes me feel like a kid again, first time my eyes caught the glimpse of Donald Duck. And that magazine my father, who was a turner, used to read: Popular Mechanics! Wow, now I'm gone. Back in the 50's again. Lost in the O-zone!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »
I knew who he was, but I never read any anything by him until after seeing his PBS nonfiction series called Jean Shepherd's America about 1970-71 (there was a second series in the mid 80s).

I loved Phantom of the Open Hearth (which was mid-70s) plus two later PBS comedies based on his stories, The Star-Crossed Romance of Josephine Cosnowski (sp?) and The Great American Fourth of July. Some great scenes in those but Phantom was my favorite.

Yeah, the PBS stuff was great - he also wrote for Playboy and Car & Driver. I have a bunch of the old radio shows on my iPod. They're still great to listen to at night when it's quiet. Oddly, he dismissed alot of what he did prior to A Christmas Story as almost insignificant, or at best, just preliminary. There was a sequel to ACS called My Summer Story, with a different cast - including Charles Grodin, of all people, as The Old Man. It wasn't very good.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 09:45:33 AM »
Shep wrote a column for Car & Driver magazine for some years - it was wonderful!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 09:59:31 AM »
When I checked YouTube a couple of years ago, there was almost nothing of his posted. Now there's a lot, including all of the Phantom and fourth of July (in multiple parts), some of Jean Shepherd's America and a number of other humor bits.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 10:25:49 AM »
c'mon one of you guys has to make this back into a bass.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
Shep's narration for A Christmas Story was absolutely perfect.  His voice and delivery were slightly intimate, yet droll. I just loved his delivery.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
Shep's narration for A Christmas Story was absolutely perfect.  His voice and delivery were slightly intimate, yet droll. I just loved his delivery.

He used to read abridged versions of his short stories on the holiday radio shows  - Christmas naturally, and "Ludlow Kissel and the Dago Bomb That Struck Back" for the 4th of July.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 02:25:19 PM »
I agree one of the rare instances where the movie is as good (if not better than the book) One of my all time favorites I never tire of it.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird