Author Topic: The Who At The Super Bowl - PinoBird?  (Read 12563 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: The Who At The Super Bowl - PinoBird?
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »
AFAIK they still have a big fan base. It's fine if you and some others aren't a part of it any longer, but I'll bet they will continue to be popular even if they're a shadow of the original band.

Hell... it works for Metallica!  ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2010, 07:08:03 PM »

Just as an aside... Rockin Ray noted the synth... iirc it was originally played with an ARP2600, widely regarded as one of the first times synth appeared on a recording and iirc it was the only version they used, period... listen to an alt version on the "legacy" release for a live attempt, and it is just not possible to replicate... both songs are just unique and blessed be Mr Townshend for getting it right, just... that... once... sheer perfection...

There were some REALLY interesting early electronic instruments!  I'm a big fan of the Moody Blues (saw them about a year ago in Denver) and their early keyboard magic was done with a device called a Mellotron, which used 1/4" tape loops to replicate various sounds with a maximum duration of 8 seconds each....makes a very interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellotron

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
I've always like Pino's playing. I'd even go as far as to contradict Uwe and call him a rock player (He's all over Paul Rodgers' "Muddy Water Blues" album, and despite the title, that album flat out rocks in alot of places.) However... within the rock idiom, there is only a handful of players who could live in the space formerly occupied by Entwistle (I'm speaking of players with "brand recognition" - no disrespect to anybody here). I'll admit to being disappointed - I'd like to hear somebody rip through those Oxian passages as well. Perhaps if Pete and Roger were not so long in the tooth, they would have gone for somebody with a larger presence. They have nothing to prove now, and trying to find the next JAE would be furthering only that person's career.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2010, 07:32:50 PM »
AFAIK they still have a big fan base. It's fine if you and some others aren't a part of it any longer, but I'll bet they will continue to be popular even if they're a shadow of the original band.

I think that CSI has a lot to do with their overall fan base.  I saw them about 14 months ago and the crowd was an odd mix - 40 to 60 somethings that were the old nucleus of the original fan base and 20 to 30 somethings, um, dare I say it - yuppie vermon that hooted like drunk frat boys when a CSI related song was played and acted lost during the rest of the show.

I saw them in 1980, with Kenny Jones, I had third row seats.  Someone mentioned the intial bass line in Pinball Wizard during SB performance being anemic - it was.  The show I saw in 1980 that same line almost caved the roof in of the stadium - I remember thinking that it must have loosened my teeth. 

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2010, 08:40:16 PM »
I believe the synth sounds you hear on "Baba" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" are the same ones Pete did for the original recordings though they appeared at the Super Bowl in truncated versions.

Agreed they need more of a Ox type bass player, Sheehan was a good idea.

Sheehan played the Ox stuff SO well in Mike Portnoy's WHO Tribute band!
Portnoy is my fav drummer & he was DYNAMITE playin' Moon style too!
I was lucky to get in to see one of the few shows they did.

The WHO QUADROPHENIA TOUR in '72 was UNREAL & the L.A. Forum show was one of the best shows I've ever seen!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2010, 03:49:01 AM »
Ow, I hate this: A 'greatest hits' of the Who has a sticker on the cover in Holland, saying: 'Known from CSI'. Same with my hero Paul Weller. His song Wild Wood was used in a beer commercial and a best of has 'known from the beer commercial' on it. I always tear both off in cd shops:)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2010, 04:50:43 AM »
They should have taken Chris Squire who could have also helped in the backing voc department. He has time on his hands too as he is currently touring with a Yes tribute band I believe.  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2010, 06:24:39 AM »
They should have taken Chris Squire who could have also helped in the backing voc department. He has time on his hands too as he is currently touring with a Yes tribute band I believe.  :mrgreen:

Hahaha, ouch!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2010, 09:23:32 AM »
Ow, I hate this: A 'greatest hits' of the Who has a sticker on the cover in Holland, saying: 'Known from CSI'. Same with my hero Paul Weller. His song Wild Wood was used in a beer commercial and a best of has 'known from the beer commercial' on it. I always tear both off in cd shops:)

I suppose next we'll find an Iggy's Lust for Life album with "known fron the Carnival Cruise Lines commercial."

Chaser001

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »
I suppose next we'll find an Iggy's Lust for Life album with "known fron the Carnival Cruise Lines commercial."

LMAO

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2010, 10:15:23 AM »
Hope they die before I get old..

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2010, 02:22:29 PM »

I'm still wondering if Carnival has ever really listened to the song, or understands what it's really about.  Maybe it's one of their "special" cruises.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »
I doubt if they care so long as it can fit their purpose.

Years ago I saw Paul Simon on a late night talk show saying he had turned down Midas who wanted to use "The Sounds Of Silence" for a muffler commercial.

"Hello Midas my old friend...."  ;D

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
Yeah, it's sort of like all the people using "Born In The USA" and "American Woman" as patriotic songs.  You'd think somebody along the way would look at the lyrics.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »
We have our glorious national anthem... read the derogatory (to Scots) sixth verse and don't wonder why "Flower Of Scotland" is the preferred "anthem" in Scotland...

iirc Craig Frost (GFR) and JP Jones also used Mellotrons to great effect...

If you are talking "don't understand" lyrics how about this - the BBC banned "Eight Miles High" for it's inferred drug references but "Walk On The Wild Side" never got even a sniff from the censor...

There's got to be something "Spinal Tap" about that...  :o ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...