Author Topic: Gibson/Hamer Custom Shop Explorer?  (Read 17208 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson/Hamer Custom Shop Explorer?
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2008, 05:41:10 PM »
Is there or is there not a Gibson serial number on the back of the headstock?

The bass was allegedly made by the former head of Gibson's former California CS, a man who would have access to Gibson components. And Gibson did send out components -- I've seen first hand evidence of it. Hamer never sent out components, and the the alleged time frame for this bass being made was many years after Jol Dantzig and Paul Hamer were doing work on Gibsons. So if there's a typical Gibson serial number stamping, I see no reason to think these are Hamer parts.

Blazer

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2008, 05:44:29 PM »
Well I sent Jol Dantzig an email with a link to this thread asking him on his opinion.

The man himself will (Hopefully) cast his eye on this and will hold the answers we seek.

And aside from that, isn't this EXCITING?  :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »
He's usually responsive, from what I've heard. Maybe we'll find something out. No doubt it looks like a custom Hamer.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2008, 04:47:01 AM »
Is there or is there not a Gibson serial number on the back of the headstock?

The bass was allegedly made by the former head of Gibson's former California CS, a man who would have access to Gibson components. And Gibson did send out components -- I've seen first hand evidence of it. Hamer never sent out components, and the the alleged time frame for this bass being made was many years after Jol Dantzig and Paul Hamer were doing work on Gibsons. So if there's a typical Gibson serial number stamping, I see no reason to think these are Hamer parts.

No stamp on the headstock, just the Custom Shop Decal (though I attribute little or no value to this as regards Gibson origin):

And, credit where credit's due, the seller pointed that out in the auction:

"The bass also features cream binding and beautiful bookmatched triple grade real flame maple top, a two piece mahagony body, mahagony neck with rosewood board, and is very light (approx 7.5lbs.).  The bass has a custom shop decal, but no serial number.   Obtained from the original owner who had it built in the early nineties." 

BTW, this thread is interesting. Collective wisdom at work. Will Hamer now sue Gibson? How many more days before this thread is moved to the leper colony that is "Other Bass Brands" here?  :sad: :sad: :sad:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:21:26 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2008, 08:37:43 AM »
Don't forget that Fender bought Kaman's music division (including Hamer and Ovation) late last year. This could be all-out economic warfare, and it would be all your fault.   ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2008, 10:15:55 AM »
It's a Fender then!  :rolleyes:

Adding insult to injury ...  :sad:

I must act ...

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:37:07 AM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2008, 12:17:45 PM »
Cool thread! I played a 8 string Hamer, short scale LP Jr. style years ago at a music store. Neck was FAT! The Quad basses were always a mystery to me until the internet came along. I remember seeing the first one pictured on one of the first two Cheap Trick record sleeves. Some info http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/neilson.htm. Hamer tends to use the same triangular control cavity back plate on everything, which Uwe's bass does NOT have.  ???

Whatever that bass is, it's cool!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »
I might start a Hamer kölleckshün wizz it, ja?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2008, 12:59:10 PM »
If you intend to start collecting them, it might help to have a verifiable Hamer first.  :P

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2008, 01:19:18 PM »
If you intend to start collecting them, it might help to have a verifiable Hamer first.  :P

LOL! I had a Cruise bass (original style) back in the 80's. Nice bass I guess. I yanked the frets out. Just could not get a good tone out of the thing. I tried some Superwound taper core strings and that helped a little. Put some EMGs on there, and still... bleh.... Eventually sold it.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
If it's good enough for Nick Lowe, it's good enough for Uwe.  And You.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2008, 08:30:20 PM »
Hamer's are really nice!
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Blazer

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2008, 03:53:46 AM »
Well I got a reply from Jol Dantzig after he took a good look at the thread and here's his conclusion.

Wouter,
At first glance, I thought that this bass might be a Hamer, but there are some telltales that make me quite sure that's not the case. The body shape is not correct for Hamer, and the control cavities are unlike the ones used on our Standard model (explorer) bass. The toggle position is incorrect for a Hamer as well.

Without examining it in person I would conclude it's not Hamer-based construction.

Jol

So even the expert is not sure about it.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2008, 06:48:44 AM »
i think it looks like a nice bass and i'm glad you got it Uwe. the fact it fits an Explorer case is all the more reason to like it. how does it sound and could you post a few clips?
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2008, 08:22:55 AM »
So even the expert is not sure about it.

He seems pretty sure it's not a Hamer.