Author Topic: Newbie Fenderista Questions  (Read 1865 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Newbie Fenderista Questions
« on: July 07, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of building something that resembles this (but in a non-redundant color TBD):

Figured I could piece something together over time... but when looking for parts I came across Ebayer "reliablefender" selling a couple 70s reissue necks for around the $400 mark.  That price got me thinking that it might make better financial sense to just wait and buy a complete bass  (and yeah, they do have that entire bass in parts for ~900 shipped  :o )

Does anyone have a feel for what the 70s RI CIJ Precisions should fetch these days?  Something like this one, for example (an old listing from 2008):  http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424489.

Also, being a newbie to all the Fender neck varieties, all I know is that I prefer a somewhat shallow "C" profile.  Are the 70s RI necks chunky?  If so, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree (I'm admittedly just drawn to the aesthetics of the 70s basses for whatever reason).  Is there a good comparison somewhere of all the different necks?  That might help guide my decision making.

Thanks for any advice/info!

(and don't tell my Tbirds!  ;D )

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Fenderista Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:06:12 AM »
My RD is somewhat "C" profile, whereas my Hohner, Peter Cook and Squier Jazz are all what I would call "D" profile - I really like slim but wide necks, but I also really get on with the skinny neck on the RD, or have I just confused you even more... ;)

I played a "C" Precision years back (talking Mid 70's) and really did not get on with the feel...

You will only know what "feels right" by playing a few - anywhere/anyone nearby you with a few to try...? So much of this is "feel" and what "feels right" to me...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:07:35 AM »
i am not sure what is on the RI but i have an original 71 pbass and a 64 and a 60.  60/64 necks are both nice and wide and thin.  71 could be used as a bat. i actually had the 71 neck carved down in the early 8o's and oil finish versus the nit laq.   both are rosewood.  the maple necks may be thinner in the 70's.

sorry can't help more than that.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »
Somewhere around 1969 Fender changed the Precision to a "B" neck.  A 60s neck will have the wide C profile, but a 70s neck will not.  The b is more narrow, and some what tube-y.  They kind of revert back to the C in 1983-5.  The Japan reissues ape the B profile more.  If you want to save several hundred dollars over buying an original 70s P in nice shape, then the Japanese reissue will give you the look and vibe of an original, and be built to as high a quality, maybe even higher.  Reliable Fender is a decent way to get Fender parts and cut your effort down to using a screwdriver as opposed to finishing, buffing, waiting, etc. Some of their prices on ebay are nosebleed level.  They also mess up their descriptions a lot as it looks like they are getting repair/warranty parts wholesale- sometimes it is hard to tell if you have a Sting body or a Mike Dirnt body if you are trying to move them fast.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 12:12:38 PM »
I have a '63 P with a '72 neck on it.  I haven't measured, but my perception is that the neck is wide but not deep.  Dunno whether that helps or not, but it's all I have.....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »
I have a 62 P C width.
It is wide and fairly shallow.
I can measure it this weekend if you'd like.
Rob

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »
I got sidetracked from this - thanks all for the info on the necks!

I did do some looking on Evilbay, and found lots of examples of the Japanese Fenders selling out there (I guess the names of the basses I was looking at are PB62 and PB70).  I've played a couple of the other CIJ basses (51 RI and Mustang) and was really impressed with them.  I'll probably end up going that route, and maybe do a custom fin on it.

I should probably opt for a 62 RI, since I'm kinda after that wide/shallow profile.  My teacher way back when had a mid-60s P, and that neck had such a great profile.  If I could capture some hint of that bass' feel, I'd be happy.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 01:53:01 PM »
The CIJ instruments have a very good rep. I think you will do fine.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."