Author Topic: The new basses  (Read 3745 times)

ilan

• View Profile
The new basses
« on: March 24, 2010, 06:05:03 PM »
Since when do they offer these? I have just noticed the new additions.

Sunburst Geddy

70's appointments in the AmDlx J and P

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Basshappi

• View Profile
Re: The new basses
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »
It's a brave new world! :D
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Hornisse

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:33:17 PM »
They have so many models now.  I love the 1970's selection when all they had were the Jazz, Precision, Telecaster, Mustang and Musicmaster to choose from.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »
I remember those days too. Now their philosophy is, never stop offering new variations of old models.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:07:31 AM »
how come you cant get one with a  neck pickup ?ahh i have just realised that is a stupid question because it would have to go where the end of the fret board and the truss rod adjustment are on the precision.might sound pretty good on a jazz though.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:47:09 PM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 05:35:21 AM »
They have so many models now.  I love the 1970's selection when all they had were the Jazz, Precision, Telecaster, Mustang and Musicmaster to choose from.

In my neck of the woods in the 70s all you ever saw was the Precision and the Jazz with an occasional Telecaster. Mustang guitars were everywhere but not the basses, and Musicasters were pretty much nowhere to be found either.
Rick

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:42:23 AM »
New f****r models = new f****r colors. Boring.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 06:40:21 AM »
I have a feeling that the sunburst Geddy will be a huge success.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 08:40:33 AM »
I like that AmDlx with inlays and binding - all it needs is a color-matching headstock!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 01:56:36 PM »
They have also introduced an "American Special" Tele and Strat which are apparently Highway Ones in hardware and electronics but with gloss finishes. If they sell well, look for bass versions to be added.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 09:05:47 AM »
I remember those days too. Now their philosophy is, never stop offering new variations of old models.
I wish Gibson would do this.........................
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
well, I like my Fender basses, easy to play, nice necks, but once you have a nice 62 re jazz bass, a Precision, a re 51 precision, a Jap Sonic blue Jazz, I am no longer  interested. I have tried a re 75, a Jaguar, a lot of jazz and precision, but never had a new inspiration. Maybe an old  Telecaster (but I think I will feel not heavy enough),  a vintage Mustang, or a Coronado would be more welcomed.
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »
well, I like my Fender basses, easy to play, nice necks, but once you have a nice 62 re jazz bass, a Precision, a re 51 precision, a Jap Sonic blue Jazz, I am no longer  interested. I have tried a re 75, a Jaguar, a lot of jazz and precision, but never had a new inspiration. Maybe an old  Telecaster (but I think I will feel not heavy enough),  a vintage Mustang, or a Coronado would be more welcomed.

I know that feeling.  I have a real '63 P and a 2000 MIM Jazz - just added a Bronco, swapped the pickup and added a Mustang-style competition stripe.  I also have a Jay Turser JTB-401, which is a '54 P copy. 

I'm pretty well "Fendered" up.  I could see selling the Turser and picking up one of the earlier slab/Tele-style P basses, but that's about it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 10:06:42 PM »
I'd really like the Jaguar Bass if it had a better neck profile. It's just too fat in the wrong ways, like a bad "C" shape gone to hell. A local store has had a sunburst Geddy for awhile now. It doesn't tempt me, but the used Japanese 62 Reissue Jazz they had for $350 did. It was killer, but I have enough Jazz basses already.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 05:19:31 AM »
I haven't played all the ReIssues, but I've played quite a few and I've  liked them all. Some more than others, but I like 'em all 8)
I love my 51 RI as much as I do my 70P ;D
Rick