Author Topic: Bronco in the house  (Read 3500 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Bronco in the house
« on: March 20, 2010, 05:29:48 PM »
I just picked up a black Bronco bass on Ebay.

I've always admired their weight and balance, and I like the maple fretboard too.  Been waiting for a super-clean one to show up and this one fit - not a nick or ding anywhere.

This afternoon I dropped a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup into it:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/hot_rails_for_s/

I gotta say that this has some of my more expensive basses at a disadvantage.  The Hot Rails has a reputation as a bottom-oriented pickup, and this one definitely is.  Even with the factory rounds on the bass, it still has a good bottom end, and it's definitely stronger on the low end than with the stock Bronco pickup.  Intonation is quite close even with the standard two-string-per-saddle bridge...which is a pleasant surprise.  I haven't had one of Fender's more basic two-saddle bridges before this.

I'm going to add a Mustang Competiton stripe to it this evening and put up a picture or two.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:02:22 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
Re: Bronco in the house
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
So it's a guitar pick-up then?
Fleet Guitars

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 05:43:46 PM »
Yup.  The Bronco uses a single Strat pickup, like the original Musicmaster basses.

Just about any Strat pickup will fit - this one was available at the right price, and being a rail model, I thought it would be a good match.  I think a lipstick pickup would also look good.

(Dang it...lost my striping tape....trying to find it so I can get the stripes cut and mounted and get an "after" pic.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:05:03 PM »
Here it is...the S-D Hot Rails pickup is black, which works OK on this bass.  And I just cut strips of chrome striping tape and added a Mustang style racing stripe to the body.  It's looking less like a bargain basement bass now!  I generally like bridge covers, but that's just not the spirit of this line of basses - so no cover will be going on it.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:03:51 PM by Pilgrim »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »
That looks sharp with the striping.

Even with the factory rounds on the bass, it still has a good bottom end
I have to gripe at this, though. Typically rounds have more highs, not fewer lows.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:48:40 AM »
That looks sharp with the striping.
I have to gripe at this, though. Typically rounds have more highs, not fewer lows.

Maybe I should say "it has acceptable bottom end".  That's probably more accurate. It's an improvement over the stock pickup.

Labella flats will soon be installed to improve on the situation!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:05:07 AM by Pilgrim »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
There, that's better.  ;)

The original 6-pole Musicmaster guitar pickup is still the best sound I've heard on a vintage Musicmaster bass. Big low end too. OTOH the Bronco pickup, whatever it is, could stand some improvement. It's good to know the SD Hot Rails works as a replacement.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »
Congrats! Looks Surfy.  :mrgreen:

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 07:59:09 AM »
The original 6-pole Musicmaster guitar pickup is still the best sound I've heard on a vintage Musicmaster bass. Big low end too.

+1
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »
When I read the reviews of the hot rails pickup, they were full of comments like: "hot, hot, hot...dark and muddy, not bright...better for dirty than clean tones...strong mids and lows...heavy mids...never a truly clean sound, always crunchy,great for distortion".  that sounded to me like a pickup that might work OK for bass.  As a bonus, because of the rail design there are no pole pieces to worry about aligning with strings.

And then a gent offered to send me one he wasn't using, as he'd played it in a Bronco but later sold the bass and put the stock pickup back in.

I don't have a practice for a week or so, but I'll know more after that.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »
 That looks sharp !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
OK, here are two almost-Fenders.
Left side is a Jay Turser JTB-401, a clone of a '54 P-bass.  Right side is the Squier Bronco.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »
They look really great together. The striping really sets them off. I had a 78 Musicmaster for a while. Aero makes a great drop in replacement for that size pup too.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »
I just got back from practice - that little Bronco held its own pretty well.  I think I'll keep it around for a while.  The neck is very fast on it, and the satin finish feels great.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 01:06:38 PM »
I love the Bronc-Mustang-Musicmaster basses.  I just don't ever hold onto them for some reason.  I like the look of yours.  I've always wanted one with a maple neck.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!