Author Topic: As if I don't have enough ideas and not enough money...  (Read 1907 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
As if I don't have enough ideas and not enough money...
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:34:57 AM »
I was thinking about another project to do, partially based on the past discussion about the possibility of a Dingwall T-Bird, and with the receipt of my BaCHBird.  It's probably a long shot on that Dingwall seeing the light of day, so...

Maybe I'll try to have my luthier do me a Thunderbird with a Novax neck.  Bodies come up on Ebay pretty regularly, and those Arctec pickups are pretty good.  I'll have one on hand when I drop the Gibson pup into the BaCHBird.  It might even be easier to get a Jazz body, and reroute for a sort of bastard Bass IV.

Whatya think?  Should I go for it next year?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: As if I don't have enough ideas and not enough money...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:34:14 PM »
Don't know about suggestions, Gary, but enlighten me as to what a "Dingwall" is, and Novax...

I lead a sheltered life... before I came here I thought Embassy was a brand of cigarettes...  :o

Oh, suggestions...? why do I keep getting this urge to buy parts to build a reverse Jazz...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:49:13 PM »
Don't know about suggestions, Gary, but enlighten me as to what a "Dingwall" is, and Novax...

Fan fret necks.   

My last project was a fan fret neck, and it turned out great.  I'd go for a Thunderbird version in a heartbeat.

Here's the sketches for the Dingwall model.

You can check out the fan fret models that Sheldon Dingwall builds at:
http://www.dingwallguitars.com

The patent on the system is held by Curtis Novak, and he sells the necks at:
http://www.novaxguitars.com/parts-accessories/necks-bass.html

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
Ta Mr W

Eye Candy x Cash flow crisis = misery

I think I came across this whilst trawling through the "back-pages" ...

I'll research the links at a later point (just coming up to 3AM here) - I understand the theory but must be tricky to manufacture, and cost accordingly higher...? beautiful finish...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 07:17:57 PM »
Curtis Novak is a pickup maker. Ralph Novak holds the patent.

The patent (.pdf) was issued in August 1989, it should be about to expire, but he still holds a trademark on the name Fanned Fret.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 04:38:36 AM »
Nice option for a retrofit on a "P", but still pricey... For those with a true ear for the sound they make (ie not L.O.U.D.H.M. , maybe jazz players, session muso's) I could understand the requirement for such finesse, but never having played one...

How many owners on board the LBO can offer an opinion... purely curiosity, as I doubt I would ever have the spare "readies" to own one, even a retrofit neck... I could buy a couple of reasonable budgets for the cost of just a neck...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 07:11:15 AM »
Curtis Novak is a pickup maker. Ralph Novak holds the patent.

The patent (.pdf) was issued in August 1989, it should be about to expire, but he still holds a trademark on the name Fanned Fret.

DOH!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 07:17:43 AM »
Nice option for a retrofit on a "P", but still pricey... For those with a true ear for the sound they make (ie not L.O.U.D.H.M. , maybe jazz players, session muso's) I could understand the requirement for such finesse, but never having played one...

How many owners on board the LBO can offer an opinion... purely curiosity, as I doubt I would ever have the spare "readies" to own one, even a retrofit neck... I could buy a couple of reasonable budgets for the cost of just a neck...

I did this project a little over a year ago.  I got the Novax neck with the ebony fretboard, a mahogany body, Lollar pickup, and Hipshot Ultralites.  It came in at about $1100 after my luthier's labor, but it's still a lot less expensive than a Dingwall.  It takes about 30 seconds to adjust to the neck, too.  It's been my main player for the past year, and has about the best note definition of any bass I've had.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 12:01:09 PM »
Aside from the cost I could be persuaded to try it.  The only thing that turns me off is the headstock - any chance he would sell you a neck with a paddle headstock that you could shape yourself?

In looking at the retrofit on the website they said that the spring on the standard Fender bridge had the spring removed on the E string -I bet that a Baddass II, with it's extended travel would work well.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 02:19:32 PM »
I agree with the previous post completely. I'd be really curious as long as I could get the headstock I wanted.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
I quite like the headsotck... must be that 20/20 that lurks in my soul...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 09:18:57 AM »
I find that fanned fret thing fascinating and it makes perfect sense to me, short scale for D and G so you can bend at will and long scale for E amd A so you have definition. Never played one though.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...