Author Topic: Couple Bruce Johnson Scrolls on the 'Bay  (Read 2928 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Couple Bruce Johnson Scrolls on the 'Bay
« on: June 22, 2008, 10:43:58 AM »
These have been up a couple days, but in case you didn't notice...

Early AUB-2 scroll bass:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260254129503&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

There was a link in the auction to a neat writeup about that bass.  I had never seen that page before, but it explains the complicated-looking pickup array and jack arrangement that I had always wondered about.  It actually doesn't seen complicated at all now - he uses one coil from a SD Quarter Pounder in each of those four casings, and arranges them like a bass with two P pickups. 

Sounds like he had planned to offer other configs that would just drop in place of those if you ever wanted to change them, and with the "full width" P coils, it makes it easy to reorient the P pickups, moving the treble coil closer to the neck or bridge, etc...

Two of the three jacks are wired direct (not thru the controls) to each pickup, and the third jack provides the standard output w/vol and tone controls.

The other bass is a '67 ASB-1 Devil Bass, restored by Bruce Johnson:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220247236296&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

Some killer pics in that auction!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Couple Bruce Johnson Scrolls on the 'Bay
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »
If I hadn't already paid Bruce for a new one last fall, I'd be really tempted.  Of course, I don't have the money for one right on hand.  That was why I pre-paid Bruce last fall.  I figured I'd go for while I had the chance.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:39:17 PM »
The Danelectro Longhorn lover in me wants the Devil Bass soooo bad. What kind of sound does it have? Is it similar to the AUB scroll, or those newer Eastwood copies? Or is it something completely different?

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »
I'm happy with my lefty Eastwood.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 02:36:11 PM »
The Danelectro Longhorn lover in me wants the Devil Bass soooo bad. What kind of sound does it have? Is it similar to the AUB scroll, or those newer Eastwood copies? Or is it something completely different?

Normally, it would sound similar to the AEB/AUB with those "mystery pickups".  Looks like that pickup went missing, however, on this particular specimen - and Bruce Johnson devised a replacement for it using SD quarter pounder pickup coils.  So - no telling how that sounds!  (EDIT: I should add that he makes himself very accessible - you could probably email him and at least get some idea of what to expect sound-wise out of that Devil bass.  I had corresponded with him about the history of my bass, and his assessment of it was spot-on)

I'm happy with my lefty Eastwood.

Yeah that Eastwood is a lovely bass.  Sounds good too, from the clips I've heard (haven't had a chance yet to play one)

I have an odd "modern" Ampeg AEB-1.  It was built around '86, and was either a prototype or part of a small batch that SLM-owned Ampeg built in an ill-fated effort to reissue the bass.  It had a hideous active "scooped-mids" sounding setup in it when I bought it, so I lifted that out and built a new harness with a Pitbull, vol, and tone (with coil tap push/pull pot).  It sounds a lot like a P-bass, but with more "piano ring" - guessing due to the xtra long roundwounds.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:18:36 PM by chromium »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:11:46 PM »
I have an odd "modern" Ampeg AEB-1.  It was built around '86, and was either a prototype or part of a small batch that SLM-owned Ampeg built in an ill-fated effort to reissue the bass.

Was Bruce involved then?  I know that he was licensed to build the Scroll basses, and use the Ampeg logo on them.  I think it was 2000 that he had to stop using the Ampeg brand, since there was another apparent attempt to bring the Scroll bass back, along with the Baby Bass.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:07:21 PM »
Mine isn't one of his early basses.  That's the first thing that came to my mind too, but after corresponding with him I found out that this was built about ten years prior to his involvement with Ampeg.  He mentioned something to the effect that he became aware of these during a trip to their corporate offices.  They had a black one there similar to this that he ended up acquiring for his own collection.

The wood and finish work on it are very nice.  The body actually has the chambering and detail inside the f-holes similar to the original.  It has a lovely ebony board, and a fast, slender Jazz-like neck.  The original electronics were a let down - cheesy components, wiring, pickup, and a lame, neutered sound.  The bridge and tailpiece are nicely machined and in the spirit of the original, but a bit more angular.  It's a good bass, and now casts an assertive throaty growl with its new innards, but it doesn't strike me as anywhere near as painstakingly crafted as one of his basses.  I think this thing was built more for trade-show eye-candy.

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 03:01:52 PM »
(EDIT: I should add that he makes himself very accessible - you could probably email him and at least get some idea of what to expect sound-wise out of that Devil bass.  I had corresponded with him about the history of my bass, and his assessment of it was spot-on)

So is he still making the reproductions & etc of the Old Ampeg basses out in CA?? I was looking through his site, http://xstrange.com/ , and he's got some great Ampeg info. Not to mention the recreations look amazing. I especially like the 'Short Scale',which uses Long Scale strings. I'd love to play one and see how it sounds.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 04:21:32 PM »
Bruce is still making them.  Mine should be arriving in the next few months.  He's gotten a little behind, but he's there.  And your best bet is to call him.  He's not an email kinda guy.