Author Topic: Kramer aluminum neck 8-string on the 'bay  (Read 8983 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Kramer aluminum neck 8-string on the 'bay
« on: January 14, 2011, 10:53:42 PM »
Been watching this recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180612771572&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It had something like an $800 starting bid, $1300 BIN. Thought it might be interesting to put in the lowest possible bid, see if the seller would let it go for that. Then forgot about it, only to find it relisted for a lower starting bid/BIN - even more interesting.

I've only ever played two other Kramers, and both for only a couple of minutes. Never through an amp. One is at a local GC - a 4 string that looks pretty beaten on with a strange neck/body joint. The one up on eBay right now looks like it's in really good shape. He's got a 6-string guitar up too.

Any thoughts? Something worth going for or definitely worth staying away from? Had an eye out for an 8-string, can't afford most of what I would like (Alembic, Rickenbacker), haven't seen many Waterstones around. The aluminum neck instruments are discussed here. Looks like the 8-string might be short scale which is interesting too...

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Kramer aluminum neck 8-string on the 'bay
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 06:18:26 AM »
I never played one of their 8 Strings but I did have a Kramer Duke with an aluminum neck for a couple years. Kramer makes a fine instrument but I had issues with the aluminum neck. Wood and aluminum expand and contract at different rates and that made for some serious tuning issues. On cold winter days , I would take it out of the case , tune up and start playing. As I played and the neck warmed up and it would start to tune itself sharp. It wouldn't have been so bad but this would continue through the night and I was constantly tuning down. It drove me nuts >:(. Other than that I really liked it.
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 07:22:44 AM »
They always looked very eye-catching...

Rick is speaking from experience, which is worth bearing in mind...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:06:46 AM »
Rare for sure, I wouldn't pay $1,300.00 for it. I could never get past the aluminum neck on Kramers. I f I was going to buy a 8 string I would look for something else. The pups are Schaller or Dimarzio Model Gs, the thing ought to scream !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:11:14 AM »
Some things grow when touched, need to remember that. :P No wonder Kramer stopped making them.
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 08:14:08 AM »
Concorde grew by about 10" at full thrust (and speed) ;D
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 08:28:50 AM »
Concorde grew by about 10" at full thrust (and speed) ;D
Sounds about right ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:05:28 AM »
Rare for sure, I wouldn't pay $1,300.00 for it. I could never get past the aluminum neck on Kramers. I f I was going to buy a 8 string I would look for something else. The pups are Schaller or Dimarzio Model Gs, the thing ought to scream !

Actually it was the aluminum neck that first drew me in. I thought it was a great idea and that it would be strong and resonant. All that was true. It played great and sounded great (when in tune), and I could even get past the initial cold feel of the neck when it first came out of the case because that went away pretty quickly. The tuning itself sharp thing was absolutely maddening. I remember tuning that thing DOWN about twenty times one night, I was losing my perspective everything . I wasn't trusting the electronic tuner and I couldn't trust my ear. I was having a really difficult time believing that my instrument kept tuning itself higher! That's just not normal :o.
Rick

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:47:20 AM »
It is for aluminium...

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »
$1300 is definitely too much - I like the initial $800 opening bid price! I can never tell if there is a reserve or not, probably close to his BIN?

If having to retune a 4 string is bad, could you imagine an 8?  :o   But where I live (Oakland, CA) the weather is pretty mild year round, it never gets below freezing, rarely gets below 45-50...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »
You do a lot of studio time - in a controlled atmosphere this expansion issue may not be a problem...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:05:32 AM »
I've had an alumi-Kramer for 29 years. EXACT same body as that one as a matter of fact, though mine was a slightly earlier one with vol/tone/vol/tone knobs, (2) series/parallel switches, and the pickup selector. It also had the better neck attachment setup with (3) machine screws going into the spine of the aluminum part of the neck. I was way into Stanley Clarke, and at 18 could NOT afford an Alembic, so I went for the Kramer. GREAT tones with the original Schaller P/J pups. VERY convincing P Bass, Jazz, Ric, and Alembic sounds. I eventually had the frets removed and EMGs put on, and that's how it exists today. Sounds fantastic as a fretless, and the EMGs really work on this bass. Everything else I own is passive, but I'm leaving this as-is. As far as 8 strings - I had a very rare (1 of 1?) Kramer with the XL-9 body style. Quote from the Vintage Kramer web site - "The XL-12, a 12 string model and XL-98 8 string bass are still a mystery as not much information exists on these models. Presumably these had the type 2 body style." I sold it for $1100 a few years ago after I landed my beloved Ric 4003S/8.  ;D

Anyway, I like these instruments a lot. The big bummer for me is major neck dive. You get used to it. A grippy strap and wearing it fairly high helps. The Stagemaster on eBay is a good looking bass. I'd pay $800 easy if I were looking.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »
I have a Kramer XKB-10 (the not quite bookmatched Flying V) and while it needs a retune after, say, the first two songs in a gig or rehearsal (pitch rises even across all strings), I never encountered the severe and apparently endless issues mentioned here. I used that bass a lot during the early and mid-eighties, it was my main bass and it was (after a retune-up into the third song of the set) totally stable and reliable.

I once played one of those 8-strings and I really, really liked what I heard. Due to the medium scale of these beasts they are a lot more comfortable to play than long scale 8s. Plus the slightly sterile non-wood sound of alu neck Kramers works well with an 8-string where you want to hear the strings and just the strings with little or no interference from middish sounding woods which take away transparency of the regular string/octave string combination. 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Played a bunch of these alumi-Kramers in stores when I was younger, and I remember liking the necks - the width, profile, etc...  That plus the prices got these on my list when I was looking for my first 8 string (but I ended up getting an Ibanez Studio model instead...).

Never thought about the environmental factors, but that all makes sense.  Like Ken mentioned, maybe the potential for that happening is less if its mostly living in a climate-controlled indoor environment?  or it could just vary by bass, given the range of owner experiences here.

That one on Ebay looks nice!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 12:35:07 PM »
Professing ignorance here...because I am ignorant about 8-string basses.

How are they tuned?  An octave apart on paired strings?

How are they played?  Same finger or pick stroke plays both paired strings at once?

I finally decided I'd ask.....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."