Author Topic: Martin Turner  (Read 9782 times)

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
Re: Martin Turner
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 04:10:10 AM »
As regards the kimono pic, judging from his haircut that is later than 1974 and well into the Wisefield line-up. He might be playing an Orville there

I know he bought his Orville on ebay - although I don't know what year...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 04:17:10 AM »
It's not the story I heard from him all theses years either! It was always "Overend gave me this broken bass he didn't care for." That sounds somehow nicer than "I loaned a perfectly fine TBird from Overend, wrecked it and then talked him into selling me the debris for cheap." Maybe, with advancing age, Martin wants to come clean!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2010, 03:09:58 AM »
     Mart for sure used his reverse 60's IV on Argus. On the first album, it sounds like a Rick on some songs and a P-Bass on others. Period pictures typically show him live with a P-Bass before he started to use the T-Bird both live and in the studio. My guess is that he used a Rick to get a 'different' sound before he discovered that the 'Bird was the perfect bass for what they were doing and his style of playing.
     Saw them many times in the 70's...big influence on me too. Great player and singer!  The last reunion gig they did in the 90's was classic old Ash... the original lineup. Ted Turner was especially inspired. One of the best bands in rock history!!!!  Through those killer early Orange amps, his 'Bird was tone perfection.
     Best T-Bird sound ever IMO until maybe the first Cheap Trick album. KILLER classic 60's 'Bird tone as well through Hiwatts. Great memories of a great era.
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!