Author Topic: Springsteen Remasters  (Read 791 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Springsteen Remasters
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:16:26 AM »
Bought the new boxed set of his first seven albums up to Born in the USA, I'm no Boss nerd,

was disappointed from a recent (plain awful) stadium gig, but the price seemed right. Let's not get into the music, I never thought he was Landau's "future of rock'n'roll", but I think he has his place as a musical storyteller.

There is a lot of bogus around remasters and one man's "too loud and overcompressed" is another man's "sounds great", but what Bob Ludwig (producer) and Toby Scott (engineer) have done here has to be heard to be believed. If you thought Greetings from Ashbury Park and The Wild, the Innocent & the E-Street Shuffle sounded flat, dull and opaque (like I did) and Born to Run less than full for all its mock-Spectorish grandeur (ditto), then you won't believe your eardrums. Most radically improving remasters I have ever heard (and I'm somewhat a nerd with these things). Not only is Tallent's quirky bass playing (before he honed it down to stadium acoustics, somewhere around Born to Run) now a dominating force (where before you had to concentrate on him), but you hear everything well and clear now (for instance Sancious' tasty neo-jazz ivories as well as The Boss' inability to bend notes in tune on those early albums!  ;D ). Listening to Ashbury Park I had the feeling I was standing in a rehearsal room with the E-Street Band. Finally, those busy (some would say cluttered) arrangements make sense. And for all the new clarity and "thereness", there is nothing clinical or grating about these new remasters, it just sounds phat, warm and organic, like a good Blood, Sweat & Tears recording where there is a lot going on, but it is still overall tidy (ok, Springsteen's guitar playing isn't always!).

But why listen to my ramblings, this guy says it all:

http://www.greasylake.org/news_blog_comments.php?id=1614&headline=Bruce's+masterful+remasters

And here is Herr Ludwig on the subject and he is not overstating things:

http://www.backstreets.com/remasters.html

I'm only at Darkness on the Edge of Town now, haven't heard The River, Nebraska and Born in the USA yet, but I've never experienced Springsteen in the studio like that before. I used to be underwhelmed by his studio output (fair share of good songs, nice, if underdeveloped melodies, lyrics that wrote stories, but instrumentally pedestrian/dull, it must be the live experience with him, I thought), but those remasters make me change my mind.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:59:19 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Springsteen Remasters
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:41:54 AM »
you tend to over analyze  stuff like this . i think it gets in the way of enjoying the music sometimes. i'm not a bruce fan at all just my 2 cents.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »
But I'm German, Nofi!

I'm able to detect talent in a lousy sonic quality demo, but when it come to listening to music I already know well, I like my food prepared with some sophistication. It's like watching a fresh original movie reel compared to the copy of a copy of a copy ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:09:47 PM »
Thanks to Deutschland and "Vorsprung durch Technik" we get BMWs and Mercedes with no dipsticks for engine oil....this is called "progress."

But it does sound like the remasters would be great listening.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
And ze Wärwick bridge, Himmel!!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »
And ze Wärwick bridge, Himmel!!!

It is full of Teutonic cleverness!

Und you vill like it!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...