Author Topic: Can anyone identify what kind of bass this is? My hot rod bass  (Read 1071 times)

Laryl4string

• View Profile
Can anyone identify what kind of bass this is? My hot rod bass
« on: September 13, 2020, 03:03:54 PM »
Hi. New member. Everyone calls me Laryl. I haven't made an intro yet but will. At the moment let me tell you my sad story. In the mid 80's I bought this bass cheap because I was in a band and wanted a backup to my Ripper. It looked cool, it sounded great and it was cheap. $50 bucks out of a place called Music City in my town. I played it most so my Ripper could stay home and not get snatched. After that band broke up in 89, I lent this bass to someone I thought was a friend. He wanted to start a band and couldn't afford a bass. I let him borrow this one. Never saw him again.
This was during a time that my marriage broke up, I lost my band and my job. Life really sucked. All I had was an acoustic guitar my mother bought me, my Gibson Ripper and that cheap bass. Someone had sanded off the name on the headstock so I put a sticker on it that said Hot Rod. Things have gotten better over the years and I have been through lots of other basses. But this one always comes to mind. It's all I had back then. In 89 I had traced it to another music store in my town. But when I explained the situation, they made me leave. Maybe thinking I was wanting to get them in trouble. I don't know. I went back with the cops. It was gone. Later I heard they shipped it off to a school in New York. I always remembered it because it was all I had and meant the world to me. Like an old love that moved away. Recently I have been thinking about it a lot. So I made this pic on my computer from memory. Never had a pic of it. I am no artist on the computer, but I know this was close. It had a gold plated brass bridge that turned my hand green. Can't remember if the bridge was like in this pic or lower towards the edge of the body. PJ set up. Beautiful red stain. 32 inch scale. I planned on putting a longer neck on it. My question is: Can anyone recognize the manufacturer and/or model so I can find another one like it? Who makes this bass? Sorry so long but I thought details would help. Thank you to anyone that can help.
Laryl4string

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Can anyone identify what kind of bass this is? My hot rod bass
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 09:31:04 AM »
Hi and welcome.  No idea but kinda looks like a boutiquier BC Rich to me.  Headstock shape might help if you have a pic.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 11:25:11 AM »
That shape at the rear of the body is really unusual and distinctive. It looked like it came from the factory that way?
Doesn't ring a bell, but I'm really curious what this is.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Laryl4string

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 02:47:24 PM »
slinkp: It was definitely factory. I loved the way it was scooped by the control knobs. To this day I am curious as to who made it.

Gremlin: I agree it had a BC Rich look and feel to it. I never had a pic of it but as I remember the headstock was kinda Fender Precision. Might be a little blurry as it has been 30 years. The only hope of a pic is there was a girl that did a video of us playing a party of hers and I recently found her on facebook and asked if she had that video. (Not holding my breath after all these years. lol) I told her I wanted a stillshot of the bass. Maybe then we can get a look at the headstock.
Thanks to you both for your replies.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 09:33:49 AM »
Could it have been a Lado bass like this?

Laryl4string

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 12:39:23 PM »
No that's not it but that's a great looking bass you got. I like the ways yours is scooped by the knobs. Close but not quite. Thank you though and love seeing that Lado bass.