Author Topic: Yamaha Samurai  (Read 3323 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha Samurai
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2020, 08:19:25 PM »
Wait... did it or didn't it?

Oops, sorry. My EB-0L was a 71, it did neck dive.

My 64 was an EB-0F, short scale. It didn't neck dive.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2020, 02:11:15 PM »
Well the EBOF is heavier in the body due to the Maestro fuzz circuit - easily heavier then the volume of mahogany removed to accommodate it.  :P

To be clear, my EB3 doesn't dive either.... just always feels like it's about to go, and occasionally if you tilt or bend the wrong way, it might go.  Enuf to worry since headstock breaks are a concern.

Anyway, there's enough variation in weight (density) within a given species to account for 2 opposing anecdotes.

I mostly play in mid sized bars in Halifax , and frequently am not going into the board . So I've got to fill the room (and lug the stuff around)
Mostly playing blues and roots stuff , double on upright and electric . Not super loud .
Rarely use the line out on my amp , never carry a DI .
Looking at that new Mesa amp though , despite being already pretty much amped up .

Fair enuf.  I use it mostly for recording so as not to bleed into the drums but still get amp sound.  Was planning to carry it live bc sound guys insist on DI here... except when there isn't one which happens occasionally.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2020, 02:31:15 PM »
Well the EBOF is heavier in the body due to the Maestro fuzz circuit - easily heavier then the volume of mahogany removed to accommodate it.  :P

I doubt that. A Maestro FZ-1 probably weighs less than a pound in a metal enclosure, the components inside an EB-0F even less.

To be clear, my EB3 doesn't dive either.... just always feels like it's about to go, and occasionally if you tilt or bend the wrong way, it might go.  Enuf to worry since headstock breaks are a concern.

Anyway, there's enough variation in weight (density) within a given species to account for 2 opposing anecdotes.

Agreed. There are too many reports of EB-0/EB-3 and SG guitar neck dive to ignore.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2020, 10:33:50 PM »
I doubt that. A Maestro FZ-1 probably weighs less than a pound in a metal enclosure, the components inside an EB-0F even less.

Can't say I notice much difference between my '63 EBOF and my '65 EB3 - even the combined pair weighs less than my '74 P!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2020, 02:43:13 PM »
I wonder if slotheads have less dive because of the smaller/lighter tuners.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2020, 11:13:12 AM »
Are they lighter though?  I could see that going either way.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2020, 08:36:35 PM »
The slotheads have one less fret and the slots would make it lighter but I believe the headstock is longer.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2020, 06:51:16 AM »

Yeah, I'm not really sure an M4 is lighter than, what are the others, Kluson? They're small, but the "key" part is very thick. I'll have to break out the old triple beam scale.  ;D

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2020, 02:59:44 AM »

From what I found, old Schaller M4's are 68g (new ones are 42g), and Schaller BM's are 89g. That's 1/4 less - even five M4's (the old, heavier type) still weigh less than four BM's.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:08:25 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023