Author Topic: Coral Wasp  (Read 1455 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Coral Wasp
« on: January 04, 2020, 09:45:23 AM »
I think it was around 12 years ago when I found a non working Coral in a shop. I bought it very cheap and it was in a closet for all those years. A year ago a colleague told me he likes to repair Danelectro basses, so I gave him this one. He lives quite far, it was ready last summer, but I picked it up at Christmas. It's a great bass. Think Danelectro with more low end. And with a very small and thin solid body.

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Coral Wasp
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 12:55:41 PM »
If it's lightweight, which I'm pretty sure it is, I'd like it.  With a few exceptions, I tend to stick with lightweight basses because of a neck/shoulder problem.  Usually it works out.  Sometimes I just have to guess.  Like with the Danelectro Hodad I bought a few years ago.  It's all right, but there is something about its neck which I've never been able to quite get used to. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 11:36:25 PM »
I thought the Corals were made by Danelectro.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 01:31:13 AM »
According to Geddy Lee's book, Nathan Daniel produced the Coral line at the Dano plant after he sold Danelectro to MCA in 1966. The plant closed in '69. The brand was supposed to be' high end' Danos, and was offered in 25 custom colors..

The W2B4 Wasp is featured in the book, and on the same page a Danelectro E2N4 that looks strikingly similar - but with a bigger body.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 03:36:24 AM »
It is made by Danelectro yes. Silvertone, Coral, Danelectro. It has a Longhorn neck, lipsticks...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 06:50:16 AM »
I really like that bodyshape, a bit jazz, a bit bird, but all its own at the same time

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 03:51:56 AM »
is it a shortscale?

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 05:19:14 AM »
Has to be a short scale with that bridge location or the first fret would be a mile away :)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 07:33:54 AM »
There was a similar listing on Reverb some time back and I think that is probably 29 3/4 in. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 07:46:47 AM »
Yes, 29 3/4"