Author Topic: New Vintage EB3 copy  (Read 8400 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: New Vintage EB3 copy
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2019, 11:31:53 PM »
Unholy butchering of the most beautiful instrument shape ever, if you ask me.. I like the classic L5 fretboard end (and butts too) but this is too much!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 11:04:14 PM by amptech »

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 02:41:06 PM »
I like the fretboard just not the body

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2019, 04:52:43 AM »
A first short review:

The Vintage is def an SG Bass copy, but all the chamfers are a bit different and the upper horn is in line with the 14th fret, while the Gibson is a bit more symmetric, with the horn at the 15th fret. Pickguard is different, the body is slightly thicker and heavier. So all kinda little changes.

The sound is remarkably similar!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »
They both need a real mudbucker.  :vader:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2019, 05:17:32 PM »
With the non-symmetrical horns it looks a bit like those ESP Vipers

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2019, 05:42:34 PM »
Oh wait! Vintage must've been lurking in this thread because they caved in regarding the choice of bridge.  :P

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2019, 02:01:27 AM »
With the non-symmetrical horns it looks a bit like those ESP Vipers

Yes, the horns and the chamfering scream LTD/ESP.

Of course the Gibson has non-symmetrical horns too, but less pronounced.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2020, 04:41:54 AM »
I hope this isn't too old to be considered a zombie thread.  This is of more interest to me than it was when it was first posted in 2019.  It looks like these Vintage basses are only around $499 or so.  Plus, I found out there is a store only 35 miles away that sells Vintage.  This could be worth the trouble for me to check out sometime.  Because I didn't know much about it, I think I may have been rating Vintage too low.  Obviously, this is a brand way more well-known in places such as the UK, etc.  It's just a small thing, but I also might add that the name "Vintage" for a brand is slightly annoying to me.  But that's neither here nor there.  I'll get over it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2020, 09:26:55 AM »
I tried one. It is very, very, very close to my SG Reissue Bass. The differences:

The lacquering is a bit thicker, de body is also a bit deeper than a Gibson, so it feels a bit heavier/more solid. A bit. The contours are a bit different and the lower cuaway is 1 fret deeper. So less symmetrical. Also the pickguard is a bit different, but most thinks were only clear when I tried one, next to my SG Bass. And as said, the sound is very close.

I would try to find a second hand matte lacquered SG Bass, but if difficult, this is a very good bass!!!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2020, 10:02:53 AM »
I got a Gibson SG in June which I like a lot.  If I can get a Vintage one, too, at one third the price, that would be great.  Especially after reading this review.  Vintage isn't very common in the U.S.  The only reason I got interested in this again is because I've been watching a Scottish band on You Tube recently which plays Vintage brand.  I started reading reviews on the Gear Page and places like that.  Music stores around here aren't too impressive.  But if that one south of here can actually find this bass for me, I would be very interested. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:17:50 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »
I just checked and I"d say there is about a 99% chance I'll order one of these tomorrow.  It won't be available until December or after.  But I can pre-order it and get on the list. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 08:35:05 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal