Author Topic: My Framus Thinline  (Read 697 times)

Hushnel

• View Profile
My Framus Thinline
« on: December 18, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »
5/143 Atlantik-Bass With Fender headstock

I had been playing the bass for less than a year when we moved to Wiesbaden Germany. At the time I had a couple of years on the violin, then bass. Being an elementary school orchestra I was playing a concert bass.

It was my opinion at the time, and still is, that the bass was the most powerful, elegant and magical of all instruments. If played right it fused all the other instruments into a cohesive force, the actual foundation of music. Although in those early years I couldn’t have explained it.

After a failure at building my own bass, I was 11 years old. Dad told me I’d be getting a bass for Christmas, a few months away. I guess after all the work I put into this failure and my attempt to start another he figured I’d stick with it.

I had two choices at the Post Exchange, the Hofner or the Framus. The Hofner wasn’t designed to hang by a guitar strap, it took a good portion of energy just to hold up the headstock and it didn’t feel that well designed, plus the Motown cool dude, who played at the teen dances, had the Framus. It felt better, it’s what I wanted. I got it for Christmas 1965, by New Year’s Eve I was in a band with the base commanders son, and a drummer. Our good friend who was hanging out with us started singing Wilson Pickett’s Midnight Hour at a rehearsal and he sounded great, we had a singer.

That was my only bass until 1981 when I purchased the Fender Precision Special. About 5 or 6 years ago, and having built a few instruments, I decided to put the old Framus on the bench, clean it, tweak it and set it up. All those years I had been playing it with the bridge 3/4 of an inch too far back. I had to bend the strings for correct intonation. I slapped myself in the head for being such a dunderbrain. If it wasn’t for that 3/4” I may of never purchased another bass.

Naw it would of happened anyways “o)

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
Re: My Framus Thinline
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 11:50:39 AM »
That's beautiful!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 05:10:39 PM »
That's a great story. You're so lucky to still have your first bass. Wish I still had the 1967 Höfner that my dad got me in 1975.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 02:09:59 AM »
Great story and I love the shape of that bass!

Hushnel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 08:02:20 AM »
Kind of just a freak accident that I still have it. There was a time when I was trying to do the University thing after highschool. I wound up using my room mates bass. It was a really nice Guild from the early 60s and was superior to the Framus. The Framus wound up in a closet at my parents house, where it was safe until that part of my life settled down. Before I settled into the 40 hour work week, that went on forever, I was dragging around the Yamaha acoustic guitar. I was way to transient to be in a working band for about 6 years.

This was while living in Pittsburgh. It was tough getting any kind of gig in the burgh, not a transient town for the most part. Most people had been there for generations. Just before I moved back south I was in a blues band. We were still working on the set list when I moved back to south Florida. Couldn’t handle the winters and snow, unemployed and heating oil was Expensive. I had to keep the thermostat at 50 degrees Fahrenheit, but I did own the mobile home I lived in.

As soon as I settled in I got back into a band, with the Framus and the old Fender Baseman 410. I was working two restaurants and playing gigs at night.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
That's a good looking bass. Looks like a super narrow neck.

I still have my first bass (Kingston), but I pulled the frets and hacked up the body. I don't know what to do with it now. I've been toying with the idea of a ceremonial burning.

Hushnel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 11:12:06 AM »
Thanks, it’s a cool old bass, the nut is 1 3/8th. It has a pretty wide palette of tone. I don’t gig with it any more but I will take it to rehearsal occasionally.