Author Topic: Got my Project EB-0 > EB-3  (Read 8792 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Got my Project EB-0 > EB-3
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »
I'm figuring to do the neck repair and pickup installs over Christmas....it will help if the garage (my work area) gets over 20 degrees.  Of course, I've also been piling stuff out there instead of putting it away, so I lose the first couple of hours to getting room to work.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »
been following this with interest Pilgram. i also play a modded Epi EBO and love it. lately i been thinking of another pup. had a bunch, taped them on and tried and sold them. basically i decided to go with a Model G for a bridge pup without coil tapping it (its an early four wire cream one) and trying for a more mid location to go with my 60's neck mounted mudbuck. i did find a 1.5 henry choke that i think is small enough it will fit into an "EB3" control cavity/build if anyone needs to know mail me, and there have been some 3p4t-3234J Mallory switches (Gibby EB3 type but prolly surplus govn't stuff = no dial plate) on the bay recently. just search for 3234J on the bay.

don't want to steal this thread, just wanted to say as written earlier "these were made to mod". good luck.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:20:17 PM by old puppy »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 05:15:22 PM »
I found a Mallory 3234J on Ebay, but since I'm not a long time Gibson guy, not sure what it's for.  Are you referring to building a "Varitone" for the converted bass?  Interesting idea, but I agree space is at a premium in that cavity.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 06:29:41 PM »
just a little info for future thoughts. yes the switch described is an exact duplicate of the varitone switch used by Gibson. the choke is here, number 8 down on the right labeled UTC choke 1.5 Henry:

http://www.surplussales.com/Transformers/PowerChk-3.html

i think it would fit in a EB3 control cavity route, prolly not in the small route used on the new Epi EBO's. if one was not going to build/restore/create an EB3 then a simple throw switch for pickup usage would do with no choke needed and the route could stay small (?) maybe this should be in the Gibby thread?

just some FYI.

ciao

I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 12:57:09 AM »
I'd use this little fellow if I was to install a custom varitone in my bass, its cheap and small, plus it has alot of different inductances to choose (7,7H primary, 1,6H primary tap and even lower if you wish on the secondary winding).

http://www.banzaimusic.com/TM019-Transformer.html

with this switch (you will need make-before-break switch to avoid pops when changing between positions)

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Rotary-Switch-BR-1x12-Pins.html

I have use them in a custom varitone-in-a-box I've built and they work very good. Look here for more info:

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1880.msg23576#msg23576
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 02:44:33 PM »
I've been thinking about sequencing the mods - when I add the pickup, I may install a stack-knob pot where the volume pot is - which would allow me to control the volume of each pickup separately without adding another hole to the body. 

Then if I want to add a varitone mod later, I may still have room in the stock control cavity for the electronics and a third hole.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 11:46:17 AM »
i finally got finished pics of the first EBO i had modded and given to Matt (the son in a single parent home). the black cover by the bridge covers the original three point bridge mounting holes. the pup is from a StarFire 2 bass that was on the losing end of a flooded basement and it simply fell apart. the neck was salvaged from an old "Zoo" plant warehouse along with a fretted fingerboard and a MOP/Maple headstock overlay and the neck plate i got off the bay from a Grabber that was being parted out. ditto the bay and the BadAss.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:53:51 PM by sniper dog »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 04:36:58 PM »
Woooo... that neck looks HUGE... how's she sound...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Chip (vintageguitarman = google) tells me it sounds great. i donated the majority of the parts and he put them altogether for his nephew Matt. it is still in his store right now as Matt has moved out and is in school.......and Chip doesn't know his address right now.

Arlene (the single parent) is on one of her "all females are insane" thingy's and Chip nor i haven't heard squat from her for almost a year now. ah well, so it goes.

this is Chip's addy:

http://www.vintageguitarman.com/

i just got the pics today of the finished bass and it started about three years ago as an idea i had for a friend (Arlene) for her kid.

btw, that Fender bassman in the background is for sale = a 2-15 bottom.

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/cathousemouse/matt%20bass/

here are some construction shots and as i got it shots, in no particuliar order. the SG body type will make about any neck look big. the neck is like a Jazz but just a little bit thicker, not wider, thicker.

the previous owners of the EBO had screwed up the pup route as you can see in the photo bucket album. notice the extra screw holes to hold the cover on.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:40:17 PM by sniper dog »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 05:52:43 PM »
Wow, now that is a parts bass!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2010, 11:21:39 AM »
That's darn nice work!  I'm keeping up with cars at the moment rather than working on the EB-0...looks like the Stew-Mac template will work with my T-bird pickups...need to order it and the router bit to match.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2010, 01:55:13 PM »
Nice!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
That is soooooooooooooooooo cool ! I like it a lot  :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird