Author Topic: Got my Project EB-0 > EB-3  (Read 8792 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Got my Project EB-0 > EB-3
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 10:48:18 AM »
Its an Epi. Throw everything in there.  Those are made to mod.  There is no wrong.

For me, to do an EB3 that looks like an EB3, I would use this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/progressive/sm2_custom_mini/

Or this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/progressive/sm3_seymourized/
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Good suggestions coming in!

There is a pair of Guild pickups visually identical to those shown earlier currently up on Ebay.  I just don't know for sure what they sound like, nor how much they'll sell for. Anyone have more info?  I think they'll be priced out of my reach, and I'd want to get both or neither.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230393620988&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230393621709&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I admit that I'm not interested about spending 2x or 3x the cost of the bass on pickups.

Has anyone used a Gotoh pickup?  This one claims: "This is the pickup used on many of the 80s Epiphone Japan reissue models."
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gotoh-EB-2-Bridge-Pickup-for-Gibson-EB-0-3-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ380170540865QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item5883ee1741

The Pitbull and S-D pickups also look like great candidates...so I'll probably get thoroughly confused over the options.  For that matter, I am still intrigued by this application...I really like the placement both for sound, and because it would provide a convenient thumbrest in a spot where I like to play:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:56:20 PM by exiledarchangel »
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »
WHile the sound might be great, I have never liked a Fender style pup on an EB or SG bass.  They just don't look right to my brain!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »
I think those Gotoh's could be Epi pickups found on japanese Epi's (japanese market exclusives I think). In my last trip to Japan some years ago I ended up doing some setups and repairs on some guitars and basses of my cousin's band mates and friends and I clearly remember the Gotoh stickers on the pickups of a LP and a SG guitars.
Maybe they used Gotoh's for basses aswell.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 07:22:51 PM »
i use those Guild "Sludgebuckers" they are dirty dirty dogs.super powerful and deep.i love them but if you play loud they distort. i like them a lot.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 08:35:57 PM »
I think those Gotoh's could be Epi pickups found on japanese Epi's (japanese market exclusives I think). In my last trip to Japan some years ago I ended up doing some setups and repairs on some guitars and basses of my cousin's band mates and friends and I clearly remember the Gotoh stickers on the pickups of a LP and a SG guitars.
Maybe they used Gotoh's for basses aswell.

Were they a good pickup?  Any distinguishing characteristics that you can think of?

This thread is going to contain a lot of info for those searching in the future.....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 09:05:08 PM »
Gotoh's pickups are quite good. Here in Brazil they are quite popular replacement for  stock pickups on cheap guitars.

What I can really say about it is that the Gotoh's are less squiky than stock Epi humbuckers. They sound tighter when overdriven, you know what I mean?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 09:49:51 PM »
I think that helps.

I always wanted to avoid being "squiky," I think.  ???  Not sure.  ;D

More seriously, I'm not sure what an overdriven pickup sounds like.  I think I'm looking for a pickup with a healthy output that balances the stock neck pickup, and that isn't hyper-sensitive to string spacing.  For that reason, I'm more inclined to look at a blade or soap bar than a pickup with pole pieces.

I'm thinking I will put a pair of stack knob pots on the bass so I can have volume and tone controls for each pickup individually but not have to drill another hole.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:37:19 AM by Pilgrim »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 02:25:03 AM »
That Dutch guy stole my racing stripes idea... Well, I'm much to slow with my projects..

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 08:38:50 AM »
That green & white bass just looks fantastic!  The stripes set it off beautifully.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »
OK, my T-bird pickups are here.  They are MASSIVE!  Probably the heaviest pickups I've seen.

Any thoughts on optimal placement for the new bridge pickup on the EB-0?  I'm not sure whether there are any particular spots that are better than others...but I'm pretty sure I don't want to locate it within 1" of the bridge.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 01:05:45 AM »
If I make you a suggestion, would you post some soundclips when you finish the project? :D

Don't put it near the bridge, it will sound extra-plonky.
I'd put it right in the middle between bridge and neck pickup, so it can double as a thumbrest and have a nice, midrangey sound that cuts thru.

edit: if you play with a pick, the position I suggest may not work for you, if you pick at that area the pickup would be in the way.

edit no2: hmmmm, you said "my T-bird pickups are here" so you've got TWO pickups? Why not put them both? :P
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 08:18:49 AM »
If I make you a suggestion, would you post some soundclips when you finish the project? :D

Don't put it near the bridge, it will sound extra-plonky.
I'd put it right in the middle between bridge and neck pickup, so it can double as a thumbrest and have a nice, midrangey sound that cuts thru.

edit: if you play with a pick, the position I suggest may not work for you, if you pick at that area the pickup would be in the way.

edit no2: hmmmm, you said "my T-bird pickups are here" so you've got TWO pickups? Why not put them both? :P

Thanks - what you suggested is pretty much what I had in mind as a starting point.  And I do intend to install both T-bird pickups, which should both look and sound good.  I'd prefer thta they matched.

There was a note in another thread suggesting that the current EB-3 neck pickup is essentially a T-bird pickup.  I dunno.  Guess I'll find out eventually.  Any comments?  (I'm going to use the new pickups regardless.)

I may have to have a custom pickup ring made to fill a small gap between the new T-bird neck pickup and the base of the neck - it looks like there will be about a 1/4" gap.  But I figure that custom rings are a possibility around both pickups.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 09:12:49 AM »

There was a note in another thread suggesting that the current EB-3 neck pickup is essentially a T-bird pickup.  I dunno.  Guess I'll find out eventually.  Any comments?  (I'm going to use the new pickups regardless.)

Yes and no. It's the same coils and magnets, but the two coils are widely separated, which fills the size of the pickup cavity. And you probably already know this means that the area sensed by the pickup is much wider, so the sound will be somewhat different. How different I don't know, you would have to record a direct comparison between the two types using the same type bass.