Author Topic: Pelham Blue (Bird) of Happiness  (Read 9175 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Pelham Blue (Bird) of Happiness
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 12:41:07 PM »
So much of an improvement.  Nice work.  I am torn on black or gold knobs.  Either with the insert looks right.  Gold works with the sparkle paint, black works with the chrome.  Keep a set of the other in the case and change them every once in a while.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 09:51:18 PM »
Thanks again guys for all the compliments, I'm really enjoying everything about the way this mod came out.
More sustain than my three-point 'birds, although it is not anything really obvious, it's more of a feeling, the guitar "vibrates" more. Of course the whole thing is pretty subjective, it may all be in my head ( or that the string are four days fresher ) than my black "stock" Orv.
The gold knobs seem to be well ahead in the voting, at first I was not as taken by them as I thought I would be. They made the bass look like it was "trying too hard" to look vintage, but after living with them a few days it looks much more right to me.
Well now all I have to do is play it a lot, so it dosn't look like a brand new '63-'65 'bird, as nice as the paint job turned out, it screams refin...........
If I ever get my pickups back from Seymour Duncan it will be on to my next project, doing the Bi-centenial treatment to the black 'bird. I've got the guard, chrome bridge and handrest covers, chrome bridge, chrome p/u rings and correct pickup covers ( with S/Ds' '60s' style internals )............ can't wait.

Cheers All!

Scott
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 10:52:42 PM »
i like the gold knobs on that bluebird
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 10:07:35 PM »
I took a few more pics ( and some of the Ripper/G3 ) taking advantage of a beautiful 70 degree day ( Sunday ).................it's supposed to snow tomorrow  ??? and the lawn looks terrible...................

Cheers, Scott
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 10:16:17 PM »
 Scott, That paint......WoW!  Looks fantastic in the sunlight.........I haven't seen that here in Seattle since mid - October, 70 dergrees ,? maybe September, so I'm jealous.

Darn, I slipped in again, this time with Mark. Wanted to quote him, but hit "modify" instead, as if there is anything you wanted modified with him. Anyway this is just to explain the edit comment ... I deleted my original comment which is now at the end of the posts with the quote. Oooops!!!  :-[ 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 03:16:13 AM by uwe »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 12:39:13 AM »
Wow! With such a beautiful basses you only need two.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 01:35:35 AM »
Beautiful on both counts!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 02:03:52 AM »
Wow!

What a stunning job. On both.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 03:12:32 AM »
Scott, That paint......WoW!  Looks fantastic in the sunlight.........I haven't seen that here in Seattle since mid - October, 70 dergrees ,? maybe September, so I'm jealous.

Don't be, Mark, you are a creature of the night!!! Any kind of tan or even worse healthy complexion  ::) would be plain ... wrong ... like a TBird with a poly finish ... ooops, I didn't say that!  :-[

I'm in love with that Ripper 3.

And the pelham blue is the nicest I've ever seen.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Bart!

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 03:53:07 AM »
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Gold knobs it is! ;)

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 05:06:15 AM »
both look really great, what a beautiful pair!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 05:56:37 AM »
Those basses just look fantastic!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 06:07:47 AM »
Both are really nice basses, great job.

Love the G-3/Ripper

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 09:30:15 AM »

"Don't be, Mark, you are a creature of the night!!! Any kind of tan or even worse healthy complexion   would be plain ... wrong ... like a TBird with a poly finish ... ooops, I didn't say that!"

If there's one thing I don't have........its tan lines, I do my very best to maintain a very healthy shade of pale.......Like here, I'm purple!
 As for Poly vs. Nitro, I love poly. I can easily A-B my 'Birds and thru my rig and by everyone's vote including mine the poly finished purple '77 is easily the best sounding bass in my collection. FWIW tho, I don't think finish has much to do with the sound of these basses........     
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
It makes me wish I had not put the tinted nitro on one of my pelham projects. I love the gold  knobs. That G-3 has me more and more inspired to start tracing the outline on my mahog plank! Damn pretty!
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed