Author Topic: This is growing on me  (Read 5247 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: This is growing on me
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 10:15:30 AM »
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 10:16:16 AM »
 "Fräulein Geiger! Bad, nasty girl!!! What a non-enigmatic (and non-enematic to high-heel-boot!) uttering!"

Sorry, Herr Gruppenfurher.......I am a bad girl  :'(
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
These are the dolls my wife owns-creepy yes?

Do you ever wonder if the dolls run amok in your studio at night?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 12:54:36 PM »
Things that give people the creeps-

Dolls
Clowns
Homicidal Children
Scary Old people

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »
Things that give people the creeps-

Dolls
Clowns
Homicidal Children
Scary Old people

...and Zal Cleminson.    :D
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 06:51:44 PM »
"Playing a short-scale took some getting used to for me, but I really like 'em now. I have small hands and I can play for hours without my fretting hand aching afterwards."

It's not so much my fretting hand, it's the soft string tension and the inherent "softness" of these basses. I play with a .73 pick and most of our music amounts to 4 straight minutes of downstroking 16th and 32nds......Not so good for short scale and Mud. Don't get me wrong tho, I like the look of all of them, Eb's Sg's whatever.......can't justify one right now tho. :-\ 

I'm glad I'm not totally alone here. Something about the Elitist EB3 I had didn't feel right and "soft" is a pretty good description. Consequently I rarely played it all through a gig, but found swapping between long and short scale really hard. So in the end it had to go. With regret, because I really wanted to like it.

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »
What's so scary about dolls? 

MattK

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 11:15:26 PM »
I'm glad I'm not totally alone here. Something about the Elitist EB3 I had didn't feel right and "soft" is a pretty good description. Consequently I rarely played it all through a gig, but found swapping between long and short scale really hard. So in the end it had to go. With regret, because I really wanted to like it.

Switching between long and short scale messes me up, too. I can see how a short-scale would feel weird to someone, as they really are a different beast. I play 'em almost exclusively now, in spite of the fact that my buddies call my SG "the girly bass".  :o
I just picked up a sweet set-neck Dearmond JetStar in purple metallic. I can't wait to whip that baby out at practice!

By the way.....Those dolls are scary as hell. My grandma had a porcelain doll collection and I was scared to death of those things. They gave me nightmares when I was little.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 11:32:26 PM »
Dolls don't bother me, they're inanimate. Clowns creep me out.

Then there was Tiffany, a beer-swilling clown who roomed with a friend of mine for a while. If you think clowns are creepy in costume, you ought to meet one off-duty...but that's another story.  ;)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 03:17:09 AM »
I like the tequila sunrise SG! Do they make 'em lefty?
Probly not. Alas

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 05:27:59 AM »
and Zal Cleminson.   

He hits two or more categories

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »
But ya gotta love these Dolls:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 04:33:06 AM »
Johnny Thunders already looked old then. You sometimes have to wonder that he survived as long as he did.

PS: I agree that hammering out eights and sixteenths on the root note is not a short scale bass forte (though the original Status Quo bassist Alan Lancaster did it to great effect with his Fender Mustang), you don't have the same "bounce back" as on a hi tension long scale E and anything below the A doesn't have as much authority as on a long scale. A short scale's strength comes into play if your bass lines are able to leave more room (not the constant drone and filling the bottom thing) and you play more melodic. Compared to the bendable musicality of a short scale's D and G strings, a long scale sounds limited on D and G.

Uwe   
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 04:40:35 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 09:30:26 AM »

"But ya gotta love these Dolls:"

I look at that and think.......well its a starting point. You do it (dressing like a girl) for a while and your various skills with make up,shaving, wigs, clothing etc lead you down a path you might not have intended to travel, but have had a lot fun with.  I used to be a nice girl.....not any more  :D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 10:47:49 AM »
The Dolls were great, no doubt about it. There was always something sinister and edgy about them, a quality an act like Kiss - nice Queens boys dressed up to look kabuki -  totally lacked.

And I liked the second album better than their first ... "Stranded in the Jungle" had me captivated ("meanwhile, back in the States ...").
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...